Impact of recent legislation on Sonic providing fiber to new locations

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by mediaeng » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:16 am
I'm curious if and how Sonic will use this network, hopefully to increase fiber-to-the-home offerings (especially to my house).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... r-network/

Quotes from the article:

"California legislature unanimously approved a plan to build a statewide, open-access fiber network"

"statewide, open-access fiber lines will function as a "middle-mile" network that carries data from Internet backbone networks to connection points in cities and rural areas. A middle-mile network doesn't extend all the way to residential properties, but "last-mile" ISPs can get access to it and focus on building infrastructure that connects the middle mile to homes."

"California's decision to make the middle-mile network open-access means it will provide "non-discriminatory access to eligible entities on a technology and competitively neutral basis, regardless of whether the entity is privately or publicly owned," the bill text said. If all goes as planned, the network will make it easier for existing ISPs to expand and for new ISPs to get started, filling in gaps where there's no modern access and boosting competition and speeds in other areas. Last-mile ISPs could use network technology other than fiber to connect to homes because of the provision allowing technology-neutral access."

"Gov. Gavin Newsom is certain to sign the California bill because he agreed on the final details with legislators earlier this week."

"Building the middle-mile network is apparently expected to take a few years"

"The middle-mile plan would initially target locations where there's no residential access to 25Mbps download and 3Mbps upload speeds"
Robert McDonald
by dane » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:06 pm
I’ve been a bit confused about the reasoning behind this huge expenditure on middle mile. Because that’s never been a resource we’ve seen as unavailable or unaffordable. Where it must be purchased from one of the incumbents or resellers, pricing just keeps going down and down.

I’d have rather seen scarce funds spend on last-mile projects, to actually connect homes. Building another “highway” seems odd to me, when there are already a couple to pretty much every town, but meanwhile many user locations lack good last-mile access networks.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1