Craigslist refusing my emails due to Sonic's "Generic DNS"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by sfjames » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:42 am
Hello all,

I have been running a personal email server for 30 years. It keeps getting more and more of a PITA. I have a set of fixed IP's from Sonic.

The problem appears to be that sonic, who I use for my DNS service for my two domains, uses a generic PTR that does not match my domain names.

Craigslist will now not route any emails from our email server.

Sonic tells me it is my problem. Nice that I am paying for a service that does not work with on of the major domains in the USA (Craigslist) and they refuse to help.

My question is has anyone figured out a way to get their DNS records hosted at Sonic to actually have a PTR that shows their domain so it is not "generic".

I like the fact that all our email flows to my hall closet and is not sitting even for a minute on someone else's server. But I fear between Dane's choice to not support fixed IP on fiber (My wife wants to stream and cannot on ADSL) and the more restrictive polices on email like Craigslist is implementing... I will be forced to give up my home server after three decades.

I find all this somewhat interesting at a philosophical level as people talk about Net Neutrality in the board rooms at Sonic and yet they systematically do things that make it hard to impossible for the little guys. In free speech we talk about protecting the little guys with a nasty message as it protects all. In ISP infrastructure it is all about protecting the market share of the business while giving lip service to the little guy.

If anyone has a technical solution to my Generic DNS issue, without having to forward to Sonic my outbound mail for delivery, please let me know.

Thanks, James
by dane » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 pm
Have you tried the DNS editor in Member Tools? You should be able to add a PTR record.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sfjames » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:14 am
There is no PTR option in the "Type" drop down list on the modify records page.

As long as my server (MX) ares.8bells.com is not matched with the IP address 50.0.191.216 craigslist tells me I have a "generic DNS and will not process any messages form my domain. It others start to do this then having Sonic sell me IP addresses and DNS services would be worthless.

I asked your tech support for help and was blown off...for a service you charge me for.

James
by u3zmsm » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:11 am
I have Sonic ADSL with a block of static IP addresses, and I had no problem editing the PTR records.

Log in to https://members.sonic.net/ and go to Web Sites / Domain Names > Edit DNS > Modify Host Records. The IP block should be listed on that page. Click Modify, and then on the Modify an RDNS Record page, find the PTR record you want to change and click Edit. If you later want to restore the generic PTR record (for me, in the form xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.dsl.static.fusionbroadband.com), click Reset.

For a PTR record change to succeed, Sonic’s system requires that a matching A record must already exist, so you’ll need to set those up first, wherever the DNS for your domain name is hosted, and then set up the PTR records at Sonic.
4 posts Page 1 of 1