IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 8 of 16
by pancakes » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:47 pm
This is exciting news. I'm looking forward to not tethering to my phone for IPv6 connectivity to test things. Re-enabling DHCPv6 on my WAN interface with a /56 PD and hoping my neighborhood gets the IPv6 love soonish.
by msiegen » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:29 am
Awesome news about the /56! Listening to customers really sets Sonic apart from other ISPs.

Now I'm just hoping you can bring fiber to Sunnyvale, eventually, so I can switch my other account from AT&T. :)
by joemiller » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:38 pm
Exciting! thank you. And especially good to see /56's

I am in a newer sonic area, nob hill, and when I turned my router solicitation reqs on this weekend I noticed a bit more ipv6 activity on the wire. Even a Router Advertisement message but I don't see a prefix in it yet. I am assuming then my area hasn't been fully lit for ipv6 yet
by nobaq » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:33 am
Are there any updates / info on the status in San Mateo?

I’ve also been waiting since the beginning and would be really excited
by hashimayen07 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:26 pm
Yesterday I restarted my router and turned off the ont, I turned it on, then a primary and secondary ipv6 appeared on my router, then it disappeared
by brwbrw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:48 pm
I am able to pull a /60 Prefix Delegation on Comcast (failover) and an even better /56 PD on the older Sonic Gigabit Adtran ONT in northern Pac Heights here in SF.

:-)

Thanks Brandon C, Dane and the Sonic team! Y'all rock! Can share the settings that work for me on a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro SE if anyone wants 'em.
by keithah42 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:52 pm
I'd love those setting
brwbrw wrote: Thanks Brandon C, Dane and the Sonic team! Y'all rock! Can share the settings that work for me on a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro SE if anyone wants 'em.
I'd love those settings!
by jfa_roy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:02 am
keithah42 wrote:I'd love those setting
brwbrw wrote: Thanks Brandon C, Dane and the Sonic team! Y'all rock! Can share the settings that work for me on a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro SE if anyone wants 'em.
I'd love those settings!
Should be straightforward. I can't test since IPv6 is not yet enabled in my location.

In the Network app, under Settings, under Internet, select your Sonic WAN, scroll down to the IPv6 section.
- IPv6 Connection to DHCPv6
- Prefix Delegation Size to 56 (new SF deployments) or 64 (prior deployments, see earlier in this thread).

In the Network app, under Settings, under Networks, for each network you want native IPv6 on, select the network, scroll down to the IPv6 section.
- IPv6 Interface Type to Prefix Delegation
- Enable Router Advertisements
- RA Priority to High (unless you have a reason not to for your specific network)
- Leave the DHCPv6 range unchanged from defaults (::2, ::7d1) (unless you have a reason to set that differently for your specific network)
- Leave DHCPv6/RDNSS DNS Control to Auto (unless you have a reason to set that differently for your specific network)

If you feel inclined for more technical details, such as capturing network traffic to see what router advertisements/DHCP offers Sonic is sending you (which can tell you the specific prefix length you should be using, for example), https://david.coffee/teaching-my-unifi-udm-how-to-ipv6/ is a good read.
by tarunnagpal » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am
Is there a map of where IPv6 is currently rolled out?

I am in the Oakland area. I assume it is not on here.
by zacharyjp2 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:52 am
tarunnagpal wrote:Is there a map of where IPv6 is currently rolled out?

I am in the Oakland area. I assume it is not on here.
Same, I am in West Oakland on 10Gb and it doesn't look like it's activated on my UDM Pro SE using prefix delegation size 64

Thanks
159 posts Page 8 of 16