IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 1 of 16
by davidblak3 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:25 pm
I have a ubiquit edge router x and wanted to setup ipv6 but it does not seem as though my sonic ont supports this. Any help getting ipv6 setup would be great.
by briancw » Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 am
Hi davidblak3,

Currently native IPv6 is not available over the ONTs, while we're working on getting that implemented there is a workaround that should work as a stop gap until IPv6 is available. We've got a guide on how to get tunneling working. Right here:https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... figuration
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by killrpooh » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:00 pm
@briancw, any idea when ipv6 might be coming to fiber customers? A month? A year? A decade? I'd love to know when (roughly) I should check in, and conversely until when it would be a useless endeavor. Thanks
by tigertech » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:14 am
I too would like to provide a gentle nudge in that direction. Is there actually some technical holdup preventing IPv6, or is it just not near the top of anyone's priority list?
by remi.dufour » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:42 pm
+1 on the gentle nudging here.

I admittedly will not feel direct impact of native IPv6, as I'm just a regular home user.. But the standard has been production-quality for about a decade now, and Sonic advertises itself as being at the forefront of technology.
by markrobinson » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:01 pm
I, too, would like native IPv6 please. Is there a beta program I can join?
by sullyfamily510 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:16 am
I'm also very interested in this. Will be switching from AT&T, and not having native IPv6 is the biggest downside.

Thanks!
by ngufra » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:29 am
sullyfamily510 wrote:I'm also very interested in this. Will be switching from AT&T, and not having native IPv6 is the biggest downside.

Thanks!
Can you share what workflows of yours require IPv6 ?
Thanks

-Francois
by tigertech » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:32 am
ngufra wrote:Can you share what workflows of yours require IPv6 ?
Well, part of my job requires that I connect to IPv6 websites to see if they work over IPv6 when people report they don't. So I have to keep messing around with tunnels and 6rd, which is frustrating.

More generally, IPv6 offers significant advantages in security, privacy, and reliability.

I love Sonic in general, but in 2022 it's disappointing to be using a network provider that doesn't offer IPv6. I would think it would be a priority for Sonic if only out of embarrassment. :roll:
by remi.dufour » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:22 pm
An IPv6 tunnel also breaks Netflix, so using that isn't a great solution for a regular home user.
159 posts Page 1 of 16