IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 11 of 16
by jfa_roy » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:08 pm
zacharyjp2 wrote:Looks like I'm showing IPv6 connectivity in Oakland too! Should I be using 56 or 64 for prefix delegation?
Edit:

Got it going well with PD: 56! Scoring 19/20 on https://ipv6-test.com

after adding this in my firewall rules to allow incoming IPv6 ICMP:

Only missing the IPv6 hostname. Is there anything I can do to get this? Big thanks Sonic/everyone! :D
Out of curiosity, why did you need the ICMPv6 rule? And do you know if there's any difference in the protocol list between ICMPv6 and IPv6-ICMP? There is so little documentation on the protocol matching extension UI provides.
by graeme_stewart » Thu May 04, 2023 3:42 pm
While it's frustrating to see a /64 it's even more frustrating to see it intermittently enabled/disabled without any notification.
by zacharyjp2 » Tue May 09, 2023 1:00 pm
jfa_roy wrote:
zacharyjp2 wrote:Looks like I'm showing IPv6 connectivity in Oakland too! Should I be using 56 or 64 for prefix delegation?
Edit:

Got it going well with PD: 56! Scoring 19/20 on https://ipv6-test.com

after adding this in my firewall rules to allow incoming IPv6 ICMP:

Only missing the IPv6 hostname. Is there anything I can do to get this? Big thanks Sonic/everyone! :D
Out of curiosity, why did you need the ICMPv6 rule? And do you know if there's any difference in the protocol list between ICMPv6 and IPv6-ICMP? There is so little documentation on the protocol matching extension UI provides.
I believe that was the only way to get IPv6 ICMP working (as shown in the screenshot). And not sure on the differences between protocols. This doesn't seem to be documented super well.
by virtualmike » Tue May 09, 2023 3:32 pm
zacharyjp2 wrote:Scoring 19/20 on https://ipv6-test.com
Interestingly, my IPv6 connection (not through Sonic, unfortunately), scores 4/20 there--it claims my connection doesn't support IPv6.

However, if I go to https://test-ipv6.com/, then I score 10/10.

Hmmm... wait a minute. I get 4/20 on https://ipv6-test.com on Chrome and Firefox, and 5/20 on Brave. On Edge, I get 13/20, with the following warnings:

1. Reconfigure your firewall
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.
2. Upgrade your web browser
Your web browser doesn't seem to be able to fall back to the other protocol when its default is advertised by a website but happens to be unavailable. Recent versions of Firefox or Chrome can deal with this transparently.
3. Get a reverse DNS record
There is no reverse DNS record to associate your IPv6 address with a host name. Reverse DNS records are required by some Internet protocols and are usually managed at the ISP level.

In addition, while running the test I got a browser pop-up that wanted me to approve a certificate (that I refused).

I'm a bit skeptical of https://ipv6-test.com--it appears to be more of an enterprise testing tool.
by terrable » Fri May 12, 2023 10:33 am
Before I dive into it, does anyone have this set up on PFSense successfully? Curious about RA/DHCPv6/etc. settings required to get it working on PFsense (PFsense handles my v4 DHCP, DNS, etc.)
by bblanco » Fri May 12, 2023 10:14 pm
For a brief period of time, I had working native IPv6 with a /56 DHCP-PD. After making some tweaks to my router settings (I'm a network engineer by profession, couldn't help myself) I'm no longer getting a response. The weird thing is, when I release+disable IPv4 DHCP, I then start receiving valid PD responses. But then IPv4 stops working. I talked to support about this, and they seemed to indicate that this is expected behavior. Why would only one or the other work? From what I can tell, nobody here is receiving only IPv6 at the expense of your normal IPv4 lease. A friend of mine in the same city is also receiving both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on the same router.
It's certainly possible that the issue is user error, but I'm skeptical since a) it was working before and b) others haven't reported this.
by graeme_stewart » Sat May 13, 2023 1:29 pm
Oh my god, I think you just explained why I lost IPv6 config all of a sudden..... this is crazy
by terrable » Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 am
graeme_stewart wrote:Oh my god, I think you just explained why I lost IPv6 config all of a sudden..... this is crazy
Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I turned IPv6 back off because it kept flapping.

I'm curious if we got a DHCPv6 IP and then just changed it to static if that would be safe?
by graeme_stewart » Wed May 17, 2023 2:08 pm
I'm curious if we got a DHCPv6 IP and then just changed it to static if that would be safe?
Probably, but we shouldn't have to. v6 and v4 are distinct protocols and both need to be enabled - some sites are v6 only, and others v4 only. It's almost as if Sonic only want's to give you half the Internet! lol
by smeiners » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:15 am
Just chatted with support trying to get IPv6 to work on my pfsense setup. I got a surprising response:
Your router would be configured to grab an IPV6 address, or an IPV4 address. Our system is designed to provide your device with either, depending on what it is requesting. It all depends on how your router is configured.
When I asked to clarify:
As mentioned above, our equipment is designed to provide your equipment with what it is requesting. We can't provide your router with two IP addresses. It will grab an IPV4 or IPV6 address, depending on which is enabled on your device.
And for the record, I had this working when I was on Xfinity so I know it's not the router's fault.
159 posts Page 11 of 16