IPv6 with Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
159 posts Page 7 of 16
by mabruce » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:10 pm
Traceroute for me from desktop stops at my gateway router.
by mabruce » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:31 pm
Good news! IPv6 has sprung to life for me. Ping6, traceroute6, and website tools for 4/6 connectivity all appear to work.
by iklier1221 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Has anyone seen IPv6 work in SF (Ingleside)?
If so, any tips on pfSense the config to use.
by jfa_roy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 am
iklier1221 wrote:Has anyone seen IPv6 work in SF (Ingleside)?
If so, any tips on pfSense the config to use.
I don't think Sonic has enabled IPv6 anywhere in SF (I'm in the Mission and it is not enabled).
by sorianomayen07 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 am
I would like to have ipv6 in my area I need this in San Francisco let's go Sonic!!
by ssstark » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:39 am
ssstark wrote:My WAN is configured for DHCPv6 and gets an address of 2001:5a8:601:29::[XYZ], and a delegated prefix of 2001:5a8:610:[ABC]::/64

---

Settings:

Code: Select all

WAN
* IPv6 Configuration Type: DHCPv6
* DHCPv6 client configuration
  * Request only an IPv6 prefix - Unchecked
  * Prefix delegation size - 64
  * Send IPv6 prefix hint - Checked
LAN
* IPv6 Configuration Type - Track Interface
* Track IPv6 Interface
  * IPv6 Interface - WAN
  * IPv6 Prefix ID - 0x0
  * Manual configuration (Allow manual adjustment of DHCPv6 and Router Advertisements) - Unchecked
---

After an evenings worth of troubleshooting, I think that the issue I'm hitting is within Sonics network:

Code: Select all

[sam@OPNsense ~]$ traceroute6 google.com
traceroute6 to google.com (2607:f8b0:4005:80c::200e) from 2001:5a8:601:29::[XYZ], 64 hops max, 28 byte packets
 1  2001:5a8:601:29::1  0.548 ms  1.315 ms  0.312 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 [...]
 30  * * *
2001:5a8:601:29::1 looks to be a gateway of some sort, and any traceroute I do times out there.
I realize that I never followed up on this. IPv6 started to work as expected less than a week after this post, but I forget the exact timeframe.
by skyweir » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:55 am
Last night a maintenance message indicated a small IPv6 rollout in SF:

"Tonight at 11:59 pm 3/9/2023 we will be turning on IPv6 to a small subset of residential fiber customers in the San Francisco area"

Wondering if I may have been included, Were the affected customers notified?
by brandonc » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:21 am
skyweir wrote:Last night a maintenance message indicated a small IPv6 rollout in SF:

"Tonight at 11:59 pm 3/9/2023 we will be turning on IPv6 to a small subset of residential fiber customers in the San Francisco area"

Wondering if I may have been included, Were the affected customers notified?
I checked your account from our end and unfortunately your area was not part of the current rollout. From what I understand, we are still rolling things out slowly/small quantities to avoid large scale issues and to continue testing things before launching on a wider scale.

For others reading this that are also curious if you're in the affected area, I would recommend using a IPv6 checker website to see if you're pulling a native IPv6 address.

(Additional note, if you are renting a SmartRG from Sonic, it unfortunately will not pull a working IPv6 address. However, the rental Eeros from Sonic will be able to. You will need to upgrade your equipment to the Sonic Eero Mesh WiFi System or have your own compatible router in order to grab your delegated /56 IPv6 address.)

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by jfa_roy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:30 am
Also seems like I was not included (South of the Mission). At least router doesn't have a new IP on its interface connected to the ONT. I imagine once advertisements start showing up, it will pick it up w/o a reboot of either the ONT or the router or the DHCP daemon.

Very exciting to see progress. Thank you Sonic. Now please get us more than a single /64!
by brandonc » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:49 pm
jfa_roy wrote:Also seems like I was not included (South of the Mission). At least router doesn't have a new IP on its interface connected to the ONT. I imagine once advertisements start showing up, it will pick it up w/o a reboot of either the ONT or the router or the DHCP daemon.

Very exciting to see progress. Thank you Sonic. Now please get us more than a single /64!
On this rollout in particular, we actually rolled out /56 addresses by popular request here on the forums. We're going to continue testing things and seeing what works best for us and the customers.

We always appreciate to hear all of the feedback and excitement here on the forums!
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
159 posts Page 7 of 16