Internet provider in Mill Valley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by hgontijo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:47 am
Hello, we are excited to move to Mill Valley / Tam Junction in a couple of months. One of the things that I'm bit worried is internet connection. I found that Comcast, AT&T and Sonic are available in there. My wife and I will be working from home so I'm looking for a solid internet provider. Besides low bandwidth internet usage devices (phone, printer, echo, raspberry pi, garage opener), our major use will be video conferencing throughout the day.

Appreciate if anyone could share your experience with internet provider, specially Sonic fiber to node (50/6 Mbps) and could share some recommendations.
by dkenglish7 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm
If any of them offer symmetrical service (same upstream and down, like fiber), take that. Contention for the upstream channel (the 6 in your example) will just kill your video conferencing experience. There's nothing quite like missing an important meeting because your iPad in the other room decided it was a great time to back up to iCloud (true story).
by hgontijo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 am
I agree with you however I couldn't find any symmetric bandwidth on the area though.
by kyle.depasquale » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:59 am
I currently have Sonic FTTN 75mbps / 8 mbps, and it's been more than sufficient for two of us on Zoom meetings all day including a couple of Nest cams that are continuously uploading data. It's not the fastest, for sure, but it's worked out just fine. I personally would choose Sonic vs ATT (even though it's *technically* the same service) because their support and additional add ons such as VPN and the landline are valuable to me.

(Yes, I'm one of the few folks that does actually use the landline - it's helpful for calling overseas to people who don't have access to Whatsapp)
4 posts Page 1 of 1