How do I add a new guest network?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by rooksmith » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 pm
I have a SONIC branded modem , SMART/RG 802.11ac VDSL2 Gateway Model SR516ac
Its already set up and I have a couple of default wireless networks

I thought I was supposed to be able to log in to it from a wirelessly connected device (I tried Chromebook, Windows 7 laptop). I used 196.68.42.1 -- it will just sit there and wait. no responses.

Is there a firewall or something that is preventing it from logging in? OR Do I need to do it from a device that is already on the LAN? (this is my suspicion).

PS - its probably a good thing if wifi users cant access the router - even if they did know the pasword (from the bottom of the routers base).

Any help and ideas are appreciated.
by ngufra » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:44 am
if your computer is not connected to the network, you won't be able to connect to the router web UI.
You can connect with an ethernet cable or using the wifi details that would be on the sticker on the router.
Once connected to the internet through that router, you should be able to connect to the control panel of the device (with a web browser to the address listed on the router sticker, as you said probably 192.168.42.1 (may need to explicitly prefix it with https://) and you will need some username/password.
Once there you will be able to enable the guest wifi, which has a password but puts the guests on a segregated network so they have access to the internet but not to your other devices (printers, shared drives etc).
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:08 am
Hello rooksmith,

Ngufra got this spot on. The only thing I will add is that the smartRG specifically needs the address to read 192.168.42.1/admin. The username will be admin and the password will be the default WiFi password printed on the unit. This will get you in. Once there you'll want to go to Section 2.1 of our router help page here: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... _interface

This will help guide you to set up your Guest network. I hope this helps. Have a great day! :)

Cheers,
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1