Fiber in West Oakland

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by daunish » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:31 pm
I am a current sonic customer on a FTTN connection.

When can I expect to be able to get fiber to my home? I am on West St between W Grand Ave and 14th St.

I've been waiting patiently for 5 years :)
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 pm
Sonic sends out monthly updates for those who are eligible - in my part of West Oakland, we are supposed to be live sometime in spring/summer.

Have you confirmed that your address is eligible for pre-order?
by daunish » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:54 pm
I haven't gotten any type of notification so I am guessing that I am not eligible for pre-order, which is why I am asking.

I'm trying to figure out if my neighborhood is on the list of "planned but not yet" or "never going to happen".
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 pm
So you can double-check eligibility for pre-order on sonic.com/availability. If it tells you it's coming, then you should be good. One thing though is that if your particular block is served by underground utilities - and if I recall, parts of West St. are - I don't believe Sonic is able to deploy at this time, since the city doesn't allow microtrenching or similar methods of getting fiber to customers.
by dane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 pm
I don’t think current customer and even some pre-orders are getting updates anymore. We need to fix that. Sorry!

We’re activating parts of Oakland every couple of days right now! That’s our big push right now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by daunish » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:03 pm
Yup - I am pretty sure my current AT&T copper comes underground to the house.

Does that mean I'll never see sonic fiber on my block?

When I check for eligibility the only thing I get offered is FTTN (which is what I already have).
6 posts Page 1 of 1