replacing an old PACE router with eero 2-pack

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by goharyep » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 pm
Hello,
I signed up for Sonic Fiber in the early days and received a PACE router. It always dropped the connection on some of my devices and the replacement PACE wasn't any better, so I've been using a personal router despite paying the $9.50/mo router fee, because I recall being told that it's necessary to have an officially-supported router at home in the event I had to troubleshoot something.

Today I learned that Eero routers are available as an alternative to PACE. I'd like to give Eero a try but I have a question about the options available under Members Tool:

The 2-pack Eero6 costs $0.50/mo extra on top of what I already pay ($9.50+$0.50). However, when I scroll down under "Optional" section, the same Eero6 router is listed as $5/mo. Is there a difference between the two? Is the one on the bottom the same as the 2-pack router with all the same bands and frequencies? Is the one on the bottom just an "addon" that I can add to the main 2-pack if I need the third piece? Here it is:
https://i.imgur.com/WA2csKx.png

Thanks.
by dane » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:34 pm
Yes, you start with two unit ($5/mo each) end can add more if you need more coverage. Figure about one per thousand square feet, but varies based upon construction type. In my older home with lath and plaster, WiFi is quickly attenuated and I need more units. I ended up with one per 750sqft.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bayfiber » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:32 pm
dane wrote:Yes, you start with two unit ($5/mo each) end can add more if you need more coverage.
Can we have the option to start with 1 Eero unit? I'm well under the square footage that Eero says you should only have 1 unit for, and they sell 1 packs on Eero.com. If anything, having 2 this close together would cause interference according to Eero and I really do not want to use the Pace RG.
by dane » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm
We haven’t found that one provides adequate coverage except in one-bedroom apartments. 5ghz just doesn’t reach nearly as far as 2.4ghz did, but it delivers much higher speed — albeit over shorter distance.

So, start with two. If you find only one is plenty, just return it to us! One big advantage of the rental program is this flexibility. The other big advantage is the on-site repair at no cost if that’s ever needed. Oh, and support troubleshooting visibility.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1