Using Cloudflare DNS w/ Sonic (AT&T) Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by shadowfax1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:59 am
We're in unincorporated Alameda County, way up in the hills. We have FTTH through Sonic, but it's not their own fiber service--just the resold AT&T service.

For a variety of reasons, I would like to use Cloudflare's DNS.

Wondering if anyone has had any issues with Cloudflare DNS and AT&T's fiber service. I know there was a big showdown several years ago when Cloudflare launched their DNS service and AT&T shut it down. "It was an accident," they said. Well, color me skeptical. AT&T has never earned a single iota of benefit-of-the-doubt. Sonic certainly has, however.

So just curious if anyone has had any issues.

If it matters, when they installed the fiber a couple of months ago, they set us up on the BGW320 gateway. I disabled its wireless routing as we have a Gryphon mesh system instead. But very little wireless use in the house--nearly all devices are cat6 wired through a central switch.
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:05 am
Hello,

This is something you can absolutely do on our own proprietary network. We have customers using Google's DNS as well if they don't prefer to use ours etc. Unfortunately with the resold AT&T service, we're not able to do this since AT&T requires their DNS server in order to properly troubleshoot/identify trouble with the service. Due to this restriction, you're not able to change the DNS to anything else. We are installing our Fiber network as fast as we can and once we're available at your location, we'll email you right away to make the switch so that is possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause in the interim. Have a good day.

Kind Regards,

JM
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by klui » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:37 pm
You just won't be able to change it on AT&T's gateway. You can always use your own router and set it that way.

I use Cloudfiare's DNS w/out trouble. They have improved a bit recently.
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:55 pm
And anyone can always change the DNS settings on their own computer, irrespective of the whichever routers are in use.
4 posts Page 1 of 1