Distance to CO

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by schaecsn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:26 pm
Hi all,

From my Fusion Broadband X1 Line Profile, I learned that "Line 1 is up and in sync at 1018kbps up and 7163kbps down".

According to https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... DSL2-VDSL2, this would be expected for a distance of more than 6,000ft to the CO.

Now, how can I figure out the actual distance? I found here in the form a few links from many years ago. The are all obsolete or broken.
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:26 am
Hello,

We can help with this. Our distance for you from the CO is 6,975 ft. The expected speeds would be (depending on the condition of the copper wiring) around 5-7Mbps download and about .8-1.1Mbps upload. I hope this helps.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by schaecsn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:05 pm
Now that's what I call precision. Thank you for the bad news :)
by chiefkeith » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:51 pm
You were so great with the reply to the original poster I was wondering if you could help me out too? Didn't know if I should start a new thread or reply because my situation is identical. Can you tell me what you have for the distance to the CO? By Google Maps it would appear that I am under 6,000' from the CO but I am consistently in the 8MBPS range.

Also, if I were to switch to the IBPP-C service, based on the distance from the CO what speeds could I expect?

Thanks!
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:09 pm
Hello,

Sure thing! We have your distance at 5,495ft. This would have you at 8-10Mbps for the speed at that range. The IPBB service is mostly ran over Fiber optic lines so you will get higher speeds there due to less distance over copper wire. This is why the expected speeds are closer to what we advertise. The speed should be around 50Mbps but should not be lower than 40Mbps when connected via Ethernet. I hope this information helps. Have a great day!

Cheers,

JM
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by chiefkeith » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:33 pm
In looking at the ATT Fiber Rollout it appears that the fiber must actually end at their CO on Redwood Hwy. Is this correct?
by galangmiguel » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Hey JM,

Since you've done it with the other two posters above can you do it for me too?

Much appreciated!
by briancw » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:27 pm
I wanna play too.

galangmiguel you're at 3,029ft and it's gonna be VDSL lines from what I can see in the order.
You'll likely be seeing 20-30mbps on sync rate and that'll speedtest out to 18-28mbps over Ethernet

I see you're in an apartment and giving the cross connect a shot. https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... nect-Guide <-- this guide can be helpful in those cases. Naturally if it gives you too much trouble we can send a follow up dispatch to nail that cross connect down. As you're in an apartment the phone box'll look slightly different but your apartment's internal wiring should be labeled.

Naturally give us a ring at 855-394-0100 if you hit a snag.

Best wishes,
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1