Gigabit Fiber OTN and router rental

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bastian.kleinehellefort » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Hi,

Just ordered and super excited to switch from Comcast to Sonic. The only thing I really really dislike are the two mandatory rentals for the ONT and the router. The equipment FAQ says ...
Can I use my own equipment? - You can opt out of the RG rental and utilize your own RG solution. However, Sonic does not provide Support for the configuration / set-up of third party devices.
respectively

Customers who wish to use their own equipment may do so. Customers will be subject to a shipping fee. Under some circumstances, Sonic Support may require that the provided equipment is installed in order to perform complete diagnostics.

I was told that for the ONT it doesn't work for me since in my street, Sonic doesn't use their own infrastructure but AT&Ts and the ONT authorizes against AT&T. Just trying to understand if that's true.Because if not I'd get my own Adtran 411 and after 20 month that invest would amortize.

Same thing for the residential gateway/router, I don't need that thing, I want to use my own mesh and that's it. So once everything is setup, can I just plug my own router int the ONT verify everything works and ship back the RG I got from Sonic as they stated above?

Thanks for your help.
by dane » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Unfortunately for the ATT resale platform, we're stuck with their terms and conditions and pricing for equipment.

On our own fiber network, the ONT is included/free, and the router/WiFi are optional. We're rolling out more and more fiber, and converting customers to our network as that occurs!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bastian.kleinehellefort » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:59 pm
Hi Dane,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Any chance Sunol Street in San Jose will be converted to Sonic fiber soon?
3 posts Page 1 of 1