iOS report Weak Security with SmartRG router..!?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by ggladsto » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:31 am
I recently got a new iPhone and after connecting to my Wi-Fi network it reports "Weak Security".

I have the SmartRG router from Sonic and the security settings for 5ghz and 2.4ghz wireless are both set to "Mixed WPA2/WPA -PSK". This appears to be the most advanced option in the security drop-down options... Is this router now basically out of date? Can it support WPA3?
by js9erfan » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:21 am
ggladsto wrote:I recently got a new iPhone and after connecting to my Wi-Fi network it reports "Weak Security".

I have the SmartRG router from Sonic and the security settings for 5ghz and 2.4ghz wireless are both set to "Mixed WPA2/WPA -PSK". This appears to be the most advanced option in the security drop-down options... Is this router now basically out of date? Can it support WPA3?
Most likely because the WiFi authentication is set to Mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK. Not sure what that router offers but it should be WPA2-AES only and disabling WPS is also recommended.
by ggladsto » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 am
The wireless security options are in this router are:

Network Authentication options:
802.1X
WPA2
WPA2 -PSK
Mixed WPA2/WPA
Mixed WPA2/WPA -PSK <—I have this set

WPA Encryption options:
AES
TKIP+AES <—I have this set

So just WPA2 by itself for authentication and AES for encryption will be stronger than my current settings?

Thanks!
by js9erfan » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:45 pm
WPA2-PSK with AES. If the iPhone still complains consider changing your WiFi password to something more secure.
by ggladsto » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm
Thanks!! Switching to just WPA2-PSK with AES got rid of the "weak security" iOS warning..
5 posts Page 1 of 1