Gigabit Fiber IP change to static.sonic.net

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by inpedraza » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 am
Hello-

I have Gigabit fiber and every now and then the connection goes dead. When I reboot the router and the ONT, everything works again but I always find that the new IP address comes from a different block (it doesn't happen if I reboot at other times). I'm guessing that when Sonic changes setting on their end my router doesn't update properly.

Typically the IP switches between 135.180.0.0/16 and 184.23.0.0/16, but last night, as the the connection died again and I restarted everything again, the new IP was on 192.184.128.0/17.

Stranger still, a reverse DNS query tells me that this block is called *.static.sonic.net.

Is Sonic experimenting with static IPs on fiber?

That would be excellent news!
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am
Hello,

We're not sure what the name static.sonic.net entails but we know we're not offering static IP for Fiber circuits as of yet. When looking at your account I can see that the ONT has been up with no service interruptions for over 80+ days. This means the signal getting TO your ONT is solid. We do have a longer timer than most ISPs to try and keep the same IP address instead of grabbing a new one right away. If there is an outage or you unplug the router for an extended period of time, the IP address may be different once you get back online. It really just comes down to length of time that you're down. There is a response from our CEO Dane about this here for additional information:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16612
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by inpedraza » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 am
Thanks @syntaxsid1!

Well, I'm in full agreement with @rcoaster on this. I have dedicated servers in a datacenter and being able to configure their firewalls with my home IP so that they let the traffic pass would be invaluable to me.

Yes, you're right, I have only rebooted the router, not the ONT, in the past few months.

I don't think it is a coincidence that I can reboot my router (or restart udhcpc on it) right now and get the exact same IP address, but when I lose my connection and reboot (or restart udhcpc) the address is not only different, the whole block has changed. My best guess is that sometimes Sonic makes some route changes and my router (Asus RT-AC86U) doesn't update.

I don't know how to solve this problem. I need to have a reliable connection even when I'm not looking. What I do now is run a script on the router that forces udhcpc to drop the lease and reacquire one when the state of the WAN is wrong. That works somewhat, but I'd much rather skip DHCP entirely. That would solve this particular problem and make my remote firewall filters a lot more effective.

Anyway, I am one of the few who would gladly pay extra to have a fixed IP, or even a fixed IP block.

D.
by ewhac » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:36 am
inpedraza wrote:Anyway, I am one of the few who would gladly pay extra to have a fixed IP, or even a fixed IP block.
Welcome to the club. Sonic isn't offering static IP over fiber for reasons that I am, for the moment, prepared to accept (see previous link to Dane's post).

There are two options, near as I can tell:
  1. Use dynamic DNS. Many domain registrars support it. If you're using pfSense for your router/gateway, it has built-in support for configuring dynDNS. Depending on what services you want to host, this often works pretty well.
  2. Subscribe to a VPN that offers a static endpoint IP. This actually has a nice side-effect that, if your public IP gets attacked, you can tear down the VPN and still talk to the net through the underlying fiber connection. (Dane said he was looking in to offering this service, but that was years ago.)
by cmeisel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:49 pm
I have been using a program (on Mac) calls dDNS Broker and I really love it. You configure your dynamic dns (I use domain.google.com for my own domain and their DDNS) nd dDNS Broker monitors your IP and will let the dynamic dns provider know if the IP changes. This works really well and I have not been missing a fix IP at all because of this workaround.
5 posts Page 1 of 1