static IP on fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by brieweb » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 am
ATT is pulling the fiber optic on the poles in my neighborhood in Sacramento and it is supposed to be available in a couple weeks, yet when I talk to the sales guys about getting fiber service, no static IP is available. I have static IP with my fusion service. Any chance of getting static IP over fiber?
Brian
by syntaxsid1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm
Hello,

Unfortunately due to the nature of Fiber optics we are not able to provide a static IP for now. As this demand grows and our infrastructure is fully in place in the future, we may re-evaluate this but for now we're not able to. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by frk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:42 pm
see if ATT small business fiber is available; static ip with that service.
by ewhac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 pm
Dane (finally) described a few months back why static IP isn't in the cards for fiber service (for now).

Based on my study of the issue, the available workarounds are:
  • Dynamic DNS, which works for many use cases,
  • A VPN subscription with a static IP option.
by dearscott » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:53 am
So, would dynamic dns be something we'd be best off serving from our router?
Or, is an external service needed such as a VPS?
by ngufra » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:16 am
dearscott wrote:So, would dynamic dns be something we'd be best off serving from our router?
If you want static ip it's probably because you have something running on your network all the time, so if you resort to dynamic ip you would already have a computer running to update your dynamic ip provider of the ip change.
I use no-ip (noip.com) free tier, which requires monthly updates that i still want to use the service. They have small program that i run on a windows server to tell them of changes in public address (which on sonic fiber is fairly rare)

Some dynamic ip services can be configured in the router. i remember some dd-wrt router that could update dyndns out of the box. I do not know but doubt the routers provided by sonic have the capability.
by ewhac » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 pm
dearscott wrote:So, would dynamic dns be something we'd be best off serving from our router?
Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be able to SSH or VPN in to your home network via a convenient DNS name, then DynDNS will work well. You can also stand up an HTTP server.

Getting Let's Encrypt SSL certificates with wildcard SAN entries may prove to be more of a challenge, as you have to prove you control the DNS name by adding TXT records containing a string of random text issued by Let's Encrypt. I'm not aware of any dynamic DNS setups that provide for this.

OTOH, if you want to run an SMTP server, you're probably out of luck. For your messages to not get down-rated by other SMTP servers, your forward and reverse DNS lookups must match. This is impossible for dynamic DNS, so you will look (more) like a spammer. Many "big" SMTP servers also down-rate or outright block known dynamic IP address ranges. (Also: Sonic blocks outgoing connections to port 25 (smtp) but, weirdly, not incoming connections, and last I checked allows outgoing connections to port 587 (submission).)
ngufra wrote:Some dynamic ip services can be configured in the router. i remember some dd-wrt router that could update dyndns out of the box. I do not know but doubt the routers provided by sonic have the capability.
pfSense is one that can do this. I'm >< this close to turning it on...
7 posts Page 1 of 1