russian hill-construction phase?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by usulyre » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:01 pm
So I'm in russian hill area of san francisco and i just got an email stating that it's in construction phase. Is there anyway to figure out where sonic starts the actual construction and when they will be working where I am located, block or two away from lombard (crooked) st?
by dane » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:02 pm
No, I'm afraid that's just not information we can estimate with any accuracy. There's a lot of variability in the construction, permitting, materials, crew availability and weather that can all impact timing. And when we guess and are wrong by any material amount, folks get upset with us, so we stopped even providing our guesses.

We have been discussing the idea of providing our "earliest delivery" date, which would at least give someone the inside best-case, and we're testing that for customer response now in some regions. We'll see what sort of feedback we get and many increase the transparency if it goes well.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lllaofiga » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:17 pm
I live in your area as well.
I saw the trucks putting up boxes on the the poles. I guess that is a start. I'm guessing we are still months away as wire still needs to be run.
by usulyre » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:45 pm
lllaofiga wrote:I live in your area as well.
I saw the trucks putting up boxes on the the poles. I guess that is a start. I'm guessing we are still months away as wire still needs to be run.
I was told by a sonic sales rep that once an area is in the construction phase, that goes by fairly quickly compared to the previous 2 phases. I hope so, because I preordered nearly 2 years ago and have been patiently waiting. Do you happen to know where the trucks were doing work? Anywhere near Yick Wo Elementary School?
by lllaofiga » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 pm
Yes. They put a box on the pole at the corner of Jones and Greenwich. Had many other boxes on the truck as well. Box is about half the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet(Depth).
by usulyre » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:00 am
lllaofiga wrote:Yes. They put a box on the pole at the corner of Jones and Greenwich. Had many other boxes on the truck as well. Box is about half the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet(Depth).
I think I see this on a corner there? Next to a brownish building and a large tree? It's a beige looking box, kind of large?
by usulyre » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 pm
This is it?
IMG_20210312_105105.jpg
IMG_20210312_105105.jpg (564.25 KiB) Viewed 18535 times
by lllaofiga » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am
Yes that is the box. Today 4/15/2021, an Alltel truck (assume contracted by sonic) was installing a pull wire from corner of Jones and Greenwich(west side/school side) down Jones. Worker said it was for Sonic and will be used to pull fiber. He said it usually takes about month and a half from here. So,, looks like construction is progressing and sometime in the summer(end of) it should be up and running.
by usulyre » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm
lllaofiga wrote:Yes that is the box. Today 4/15/2021, an Alltel truck (assume contracted by sonic) was installing a pull wire from corner of Jones and Greenwich(west side/school side) down Jones. Worker said it was for Sonic and will be used to pull fiber. He said it usually takes about month and a half from here. So,, looks like construction is progressing and sometime in the summer(end of) it should be up and running.
Thanks for the update. In the monthly construction update it says Sonic would be only working at night? Also, I'm guessing they don't have to put wire up for the entire area just to start installs? I'm not sure how the work is done, maybe for preorders they might start putting up wire in different areas? Hopefully the install in Jones and Greenwich area will start earlier than a month and a half, before summer ends etc.
by usulyre » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:41 am
So, today is the supposedly go live date? What does this mean for actual installations?
26 posts Page 1 of 3