Trouble setting up access using static IPs on my Sonic ADSL router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by finlayson » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:35 pm
I have a Sonic.net ADSL connection, with 8 static IP addresses, and recently switched from an old ZTE ZXV10 W300 modem - which had broken - to a new SMART/RG SR516ac modem. I am having trouble setting up access to my static IP range on this new modem.

The following works:
Advanced Setup -> WAN Service -> edit atm0.1 interface
  • Use the following Static IP address: 50.0.150.48 mask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 50.0.150.1
    Disable Firewall; Keep NAT enabled
Advanced Setup -> LAN
  • (default settings)
    IP Address: 192.168.42.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP server enabled
While this gives me Internet access, I want to have access to my full range of static IP addresses within my LAN - not just 50.0.150.48 (which is used for the DSL router). I had this working on my old router, but have not been able to set this up on my new router.

I have tried the following; neither of which works (I can't ping the gateway 50.0.150.1 or any other outside address from the LAN):
Advanced Setup -> LAN
  • IP Address: 50.0.150.48
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248
    DHCP server enabled
Advanced Setup -> LAN
  • IP Address: 50.0.150.52
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252
    DHCP server enabled
(Note that the second solution would give me access to only half of my 8-static-address range, but even this doesn't work.)

I seem to be missing something in the router configuration. Can anyone help?
by ngufra » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:23 pm
Not clear what you want to do.

You want 8 static public ip ? all in 50.0.150.0/24 ?
I would think
-1- you have to ask sonic to allocate them to you
-2-where do you map these public ip to your computers? (unless you want all of them to the same adapter?)
I see 50.0.150.48 as dsl-router.home.live555.com. did they allocate you a block from .48 to 48+7 ?
The computer that would have static ip would need to be in the DMZ and specify they use a static ip so their traffic goes through the router.

I don't do this often but i think you are correct, the mask 255.255.255.248/29
https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-ca ... &x=94&y=29

Or do you want static local addresses which would be always returning the same local ip to the same mac address?

Your best bet is to call 611 and i think they should be able to help even though they officially support only hardware they provide.
by finlayson » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:37 pm
You misunderstand. I already have the static IP addresses (50.0.150.48 through 50.0.150.54 (plus the broadcast address 50.0.150.55)). Sonic.net has already allocated these to me, and I was using them with my previous router. Plus, Sonic.net already knows that 50.0.150.48 is the static IP address of my router, and that 50.0.150.1 is its upstream gateway.

What I'm asking is how to set up my new Sonic SMART/RG SR516ac modem to give my LAN access to the remaining static IP addresses (50.0.150.49 through 50.0.150.54).
by ngufra » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:15 am
I don't use multiple static ips. i used to have one, but now of fiber and static ip is not an option.
I don't use the Smart RG, i use pfSense on a small pc as a router.

Sonic does seem to support the smartRG 516ac: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... RG-SR516ac
And you wrote they allocated the ips for you.

So my recommendation is to call them at 611 and ask them.

Is your previous router completely dead? if not you could check how you did it there.

Some ideas :
-in port forwarding, can you specify the public ip being hit? if so it may be where you specify where to send traffic for 50.0.150.51 to your local 192.168.42.51
-DMZ the machines you want to be with the public ip and set static address on the machine itself
by apl » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:56 am
The suggestions to ask Sonic support, or to copy config from the old router make sense.

I don't think port forwarding is the right approach.
What happens if you just turn off DHCP and NAT on your router?
by ewhac » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:24 pm
You appear to have configured the router to run NAT for a public IP, and have the router be the DHCP server for the LAN. It sounds like you want the router to do that for each of your public IPs.

As far as I know, that's not possible with those cheap consumer routers. pfSense probably can do it, but I wouldn't know how to set that up offhand.

Alternatively, you could reconfigure your router to bridge mode, and then setup static IP on the LAN machines behind it. This, of course, is extremely risky, as it exposes your LAN machines directly to the internet.
by finlayson » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:53 pm
ewhac wrote:You appear to have configured the router to run NAT for a public IP
No, I've disabled NAT when I tried setting my LAN IP addresses to my static address range. Sorry if that was unclear.
ewhac wrote:and have the router be the DHCP server for the LAN
Yes, although if I disable the router's DHCP server (and use my own server, on the LAN, for DHCP), I get the same (non-)result: I can't reach the outside Internet (or even the upstream gateway 50.0.150.1) from my LAN.
ewhac wrote:Alternatively, you could reconfigure your router to bridge mode
Please tell me how to do this (for the SMART/RG SR516ac modem). I'm willing to bear the risk of having my LAN IPs directly visible from the external Internet. (After all, that's why I chose to get the static IPs :-)
by ngufra » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm
by finlayson » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:16 pm
Thank you! Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted - it solved my problem.
by mikeapbiz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Wow, that's actually not a bad looking single line dsl modem I actually wouldn't mind paying for b/c it has a working bridging feature. Sadly I have a bonded DSL Sonic Piece of Shit (POS) Pace modem. You know the Pace right?...

The one that Dane and all the others at sonic says does Bridging but it doesn't because they can't take the time to fix the firmware b/c they know they have zero competition in the dual modem space. So when the device loses its configuration for no reason like it did tonight, the surly rude and generally unhelpful going through the motions for a paycheck fakers that now seem to infest the once stellar sonic tech call center blame the customers router (yeah, like it's my expensive bug free router and not your POS Pace). And in between clicking away loudly on whatever personal conversations they have going on and asking me what I want to do about it, (the answer btw is I ain't doing shit about about b/c I have your service, your POS modem and your wiring plan, so you figure it out), I'm largely left to stumble upon the solution myself, which ended up being voodoo by un-configuring the pace and reconfiguring the pace, and then hard power cycling, in that exact order, and then it worked. That's worth $10 a month, huh? :roll:

So yeah, if you really need to be online and or expect tech support, be it Gary or Michael, to assist when their turn key offering doesn't work, this is NOT the service for you. If on the other hand you like debating the difference between a warm hand off and a cold hand off, or just calling back to play tech roulette, followed by minutes of silence on the technician's end while he is pretending to think but it just doing some personal business and doesn't give a damn, and enjoy getting disconnected on, then Gary and Michael ARE the techs for you and THIS is the service you need. So at least Sonic provides a hyper-niche for someone, somewhere, I guess who wants that style of bonded DSL. :arrow:
11 posts Page 1 of 2