Fusion Fiber - Intermittent Loss of Internet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by chingsf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:36 pm
We have Fusion Gigabit Fiber service via an Adtran 411 ONT.
Ever since install, we have had intermittent issues where the router would stop communicating with the ONT/internet. We have reached out to support several times but aside from the fact that we have not been able to reach a live person while the issue is present (and due to the need of members of the household needing to have internet access due to school, we can't just leave it non-functional until we get someone live on the phone), they have not been able to find any issues when they finally respond to the ticket via email.

I have tried 3 different routers from 2 different manufacturers (2 x Netgear Nighthawk R7800 and 1 x Tp-link Archer C4000) but have still have the same issue.

Periodically (1-2x a week), the router would not be able to reach the internet through the ONT. The status lights on the ONT are green, but the "internet" light on the routers go red.
A reset of the routers alone normally resolve the issue, but every now and then the ONT would need to be powered off/on again. To date, the issue has not ever resolved itself without a reset of equipment.

To further complicate the issue, this is at my in-laws, so I'm not there to troubleshoot when the issues arise. I'm only able to get video/pictures of the status lights, and an inability to remotely connect to the routers via the Netgear and TPLink remote access apps.

Thoughts?
by ngufra » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:20 pm
Sonic support should be able to put some monitoring on the line to be able to track what happened after the fact.

Anything specific about when it happens? At night, when there is wind, etc
It could help to figure out the issue.

Make sure the routers have the latest firmware.
by chingsf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:31 pm
My hope is that Sonic monitors these forums and will be able to reach out to us to resolve.

There isn't anything particular that triggers the issue (at least not that I can tell), but again, because it's at my in-laws, it's harder for me to determine what factors may cause the issue.
by virtualmike » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:04 pm
Sonic staff do pass through the forum, but your issue really is better solved with one-on-one help from one of the agents who can focus on it. You can contact support via phone, text, or email (though I recommend phone or text).
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:46 am
Hello,

We're sorry you are having trouble with our service. There may still be a configuration issue on the 3rd party routers you are using. We can see the signal getting TO your home is solid with no slow downs or drop outs in the past 6 days. The best way to know for sure would be to plug a computer directly into the ONT and test it from the source. If there is no service interruption while being plugged directly into the modem, we can send you one of our routers that are already configured for our service to see if this makes a difference. If however, you plug a computer directly into the ONT and the drop outs or loss of internet still continue, this would indicate an issue with the exterior line or the ONT itself, and we should dispatch a tech to physically check the line for issues. Plugging into the ONT will only allow one computer to access the internet at a time so if you have a problem with one computer specifically, I would recommend connected that one to the ONT. Let us know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by mooseo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 am
I was having very similar issue, though can't confirm the lights on the router.

Following ngufra's suggestion, I seem to have resolved it with a router firmware update.
6 posts Page 1 of 1