Sonic Fiber Dynamic IPs: how often do they change?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by sonicnetsev » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 pm
cmeisel wrote:It is unrealistic to pay so little and expect business fixed IP's. There are enough workarounds. For example, I needed a static address for my security system and also to access some remote machines that I have running 24/7 via vnc.
I used google DNS for all domains and I used their ddns service. In order to update it with the latest address I installed a program called dDNS Broker and it works perfectly. If the IP on this machine changes, it is immediately reported to the google ddns service (or any other DDNS provider). This setup has worked flawlessly and I don't need a fixed IP since I can now always access my services using a domain name. I can highly recommend this setup.
Thank you so much for the recommendation! dDNS broker looks like the solution I was looking for my Mac.

Jump Desktop & Plex already have IP routing built in but my security system does not so this would help me.
by sonicnetsev » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 pm
tony.b wrote:Hi there!
I wanted to reach out and try and clarify what DHCP lease is and when your router would "change" its IP because of it.

DHCP lease is the process your router goes through roughly every 5 min or so (it can be different time intervals based on the equipment) where it checks with our equipment to confirm that it still needs an IP address from us. When the router confirms it still needs an IP address from our equipment, our equipment then remembers the previously assigned IP to that equipment and assigns the same IP. If the session expires (eg your router is disconnected for an extended period of time) then when it comes back online, our equipment will still give it the same IP, unless that IP has been allocated to a different device. then you'll get a new IP. At that point, this new IP address becomes you remembered and assigned IP from our equipment moving forward until it cannot be assigned again.

I hope this helped clear it up, and please feel free to reach out if there are any other questions or things I can try and help with around this topic.
Have a great day all!
Tony Sonic Supervisor
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the detailed response. It almost seems like it's a "semi-static" and it sounds like it would be a reasonably static enough for my needs. I already got dDNS updater for Mac and am playing around with it now.

I can't tell you how overjoyed I am to have Sonic and to be your customer.
by sonicnetsev » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 am
After signing up for DuckDNS.org (it's great!), I noticed in dDNS Broker v2.9 that Sonic (!) is listed as one of the Dynamic DNS providers!

I found the kB that confirms it in Sonic Labs: https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... DynamicDNS

Instructions: https://public-api.sonic.net/dyndns

I have my Sonic User/pass entered, but the part I am stuck on is the Host and Domain name in the DDNS Provider. I have no idea what to put here as I don't have a dedicated hostname, just a dynamic IP address from Sonic. I know this Sonic labs feature isn't officially supported by support, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help guide me. I consider myself an end-user but not that familiar with CLI and Linux.

DuckDNS registers perfectly in dDNS broker, but the security camera isn't connecting to the domain. The port is forwarded on the router and it works with the regular Sonic IP, but not DuckDNS :(
by ngufra » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:19 am
I was researching it some time ago and someone mentioned sonic has a rest api but nobody could elaborate.
Search my posts and you should find the right thread.

I used to use ddns but they dropped their free option many years ago. It was convenient as many routers had it as an option (dd-wrt for example)

I use noip.com that has a free option that you must confirm once a month so it does not lapse.
You also need to install their small dns update client that will update their table as to what ip your fqdn should match to.
by lasevich » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 pm
cmeisel wrote:It is unrealistic to pay so little and expect business fixed IP's.
To be fair, I have been doing exactly that for about 20 years with Sonic :-)
There are enough workarounds. For example, I needed a static address for my security system and also to access some remote machines that I have running 24/7 via vnc.
I used google DNS for all domains and I used their ddns service. In order to update it with the latest address I installed a program called dDNS Broker and it works perfectly. If the IP on this machine changes, it is immediately reported to the google ddns service (or any other DDNS provider). This setup has worked flawlessly and I don't need a fixed IP since I can now always access my services using a domain name. I can highly recommend this setup.
Yeah, DDNS is trivial, I even have written several of my own solutions for incoming connections - but that does not solve my problem. That said, I will clearly take Fiber over static IP, if that is ever actually offered to me :-) That said, there is a DHCP server somewhere issuing IPs, and the concept of "a reserved IP" is not a terribly futuristic for 2021 :-/ I get that it is not a high priority, and yes, I will live without it once Fiber finally gets here, but it seems a bit silly to say it is a problem too complicated for Sonic to solve in reasonable time with little overhead :-/
by psireau » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:01 am
To answer OP's question, in my experience the IP simply doesn't change as long as the ONT stays plugged in.

I've had a dynamic DNS set up since May 2017 with hourly checks, and looking at the logs now my IP has changed on average twice a year, with sometimes over a year between two changes. I can't remember exactly what happened on each of those occasions but I'm fairly certain most if not all of the changes have been as a result of me having to unplug the ONT (and every time I've done that has been unrelated to Sonic).

So if your ONT stays plugged in I wouldn't be surprised if you can keep the same IP for years, but as someone else mentioned it's not a guarantee so it's kind of a moot point really (meaning I wouldn't advise setting up something that would break with an IP change).
16 posts Page 2 of 2