Sonic Fiber Dynamic IPs: how often do they change?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by sonicnetsev » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:47 pm
For my Sonic 1Gig Fiber brothers on this board -- it's clear Sonic doesn't offer Static IPs, but how often does the dynamic IP address change?

It's been a few days since my installation so far I still have the same IP, so I'm left wondering since some of my cameras will break once IP changes.
by ngufra » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:13 pm
it's been known to not renew for many days but you should investigate a dynamic dns service like noip.com
by sonicnetsev » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:14 pm
ngufra wrote:it's been known to not renew for many days but you should investigate a dynamic dns service like noip.com
Thank you! Can you be a little more specific with the number of days? weeks?

I'll check out noip.com
by ngufra » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:34 pm
I think for me it's more than a week but your mileage may vary.
Some people have reported that even after rebooting the ONT the ip was the same.
Either way as it's not static you cannot rely on it and really need some dynamic dns service to ensure a stable name for your ip.
These services require you run a small program on a machine inside your network so that it can update your actual ip whenever it changes. Some routers support it directly.
by lasevich » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:40 pm
Any chance to convince Sonic to add a Static IP offering? Dynamic DNS is only relevant in some cases, i.e. only if you care about hosting something. Most of my needs are about IP filtering for services. While IP filtering is not the strongest of security by itself, it is definitely a huge multiplier for security, and I have a number of places where I need a filtered IP list.
by ngufra » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:03 pm
Unlikely

It has been asked umpteen times and always brought the same answer.

Static IP was available for free on DSL circuits but with fiber, apparently it would be difficult to implement for fiber and they would rather spend their energy on growing their customer base than satisfy a need that they consider unnecessary and rarely used by typical residential users.
by cmeisel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 am
It is unrealistic to pay so little and expect business fixed IP's. There are enough workarounds. For example, I needed a static address for my security system and also to access some remote machines that I have running 24/7 via vnc.
I used google DNS for all domains and I used their ddns service. In order to update it with the latest address I installed a program called dDNS Broker and it works perfectly. If the IP on this machine changes, it is immediately reported to the google ddns service (or any other DDNS provider). This setup has worked flawlessly and I don't need a fixed IP since I can now always access my services using a domain name. I can highly recommend this setup.
by cmeisel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:57 am
It is unrealistic to pay so little and expect business fixed IP's. There are enough workarounds. For example, I needed a static address for my security system and also to access some remote machines that I have running 24/7 via vnc.
I used google DNS for all domains and I used their ddns service. In order to update it with the latest address I installed a program called dDNS Broker and it works perfectly. If the IP on this machine changes, it is immediately reported to the google ddns service (or any other DDNS provider). This setup has worked flawlessly and I don't need a fixed IP since I can now always access my services using a domain name. I can highly recommend this setup.
by tony.b » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 pm
Hi there!
I wanted to reach out and try and clarify what DHCP lease is and when your router would "change" its IP because of it.

DHCP lease is the process your router goes through roughly every 5 min or so (it can be different time intervals based on the equipment) where it checks with our equipment to confirm that it still needs an IP address from us. When the router confirms it still needs an IP address from our equipment, our equipment then remembers the previously assigned IP to that equipment and assigns the same IP. If the session expires (eg your router is disconnected for an extended period of time) then when it comes back online, our equipment will still give it the same IP, unless that IP has been allocated to a different device. then you'll get a new IP. At that point, this new IP address becomes you remembered and assigned IP from our equipment moving forward until it cannot be assigned again.

I hope this helped clear it up, and please feel free to reach out if there are any other questions or things I can try and help with around this topic.
Have a great day all!
Tony Sonic Supervisor
by sonicnetsev » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 pm
ngufra wrote:Unlikely

It has been asked umpteen times and always brought the same answer.

Static IP was available for free on DSL circuits but with fiber, apparently it would be difficult to implement for fiber and they would rather spend their energy on growing their customer base than satisfy a need that they consider unnecessary and rarely used by typical residential users.
I am the OP and read the different posts. I completely agree with you that I would much rather favor Sonic's exponential expansion into the market rather than waste their time with static IPs.

We need to get Sonic as far and as wide as possible. This is my favorite broadband ever.
16 posts Page 1 of 2