Router settings dd-wrt on Sonic fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by mooseo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:33 am
I just moved from xfi to Sonic fiber... mostly it's OK, but I am having some issues. I have a netgear router running dd-wrt. In four years with comcast, I think I maybe had two or three times my connection went down.

Since moving to Sonic, I frequently get network timeouts or no access to the internet. I need to reboot the router most every morning to restore my connection. All the settings on the router are the same as they have been for years.

Any suggestions about what I need to switch to make this work with Sonic?
by ngufra » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 am
What router model are you using, what build of dd-wrt are you using?
Could it be not powerful enough for the gigabit upstream?

Try to disable some services (like if you have an openvpn running or some advanced security)
Make sure you use the latest stable build.
Maybe there were some settings that were specific to your previous connection.

Good luck

-Francois
by mooseo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 pm
Thanks! I'm running a Netgear R7000 with 33675M. It's actually an older kong build, but I'm reluctant to change it since it was working perfectly before I changed to Sonic. I'm not sure if it's overwhelmed by traffic... seems to be delivering 400 Mbps both ways with a lot of other traffic.

The former connection was pretty plain vanilla; I don't think I had any settings particular to Comcast, but I'll check. I think I need to dig out an old router and start from scratch with that to see if I can suss this.
by dane » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm
Many devices cannot deliver wire-speed at full gigabit. This is a key reason we've got selected gear that we integrate to and support. When we've looked at a "bring your own device" type setup as a primary path for customers, we end up tripped up on performance.

Bear in mind also that IPv6 is coming, and that's also an area you may see performance issues in many devices. FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mooseo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 am
Dane, this reply misses the point of my question. It's not a speed issue... it's ripping fast, when it works. But multiple times every day, the whole system hiccups and no traffic passes through.

I've used your supported devices before... and your Pace router was what drove me to Comcast in the first place.

I'm guessing it's a simple setting... it seems to happen when the DHCP lease renews, which is pretty frequent.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
by briancw » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am
Hi mooseo,

it should be noted, the options for routers are a little more varied with your service these days. While we still use Paces there are also two other options we have available at current. We have the SmartRG516 which is the standard router option. This article goes into pretty good detail about that device. SmartRG515 Help Article the gist being that it is a dualband router with 1 gigabit WAN port and 4 gigabit LAN ports.

We are also currently offering the Eero mesh network in a few different varieties. They do a great job of detailing out the different features here: Eero 6 Product Page Thankfully you don't have to buy them when you have Sonic, The rental prices for Sonic customers for these devices are
Eero 6 $5/mo
Eero 6 Pro $10/mo
Eero $4/mo (this is sometimes referred to as a cupcake)
Eero Pro $8/mo
Eero Beacon $4/mo
With the Eero system you are essentially selecting enough devices to daisy chain the wireless signal across the house. The details of which are easy to hash out for your particular location if you want to investigate the Eeros as an option.

This all segues neatly into the important tool swapping in one of our routers for testing is that they are a known quantity, they should have no problems, and don't in the absence of technical problems. Few things could absolve the Netgear of suspicion faster than comparing behavior if you swap in one of ours.

Working with a problem and having only a 3rd party router's behavior to look at is, to some degree, like fighting with one arm tied behind your back. But we'd be remiss to not explain that supported devices in the Post-Pace era are quite a bit nicer. If you're open to giving one of ours a try we can accommodate that.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am
It seems it should not be a speed issue.
Read https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/ ... erformance

Are you running any services like OpenVPN, Privoxy or lighttpd ?
Did you overclock it ?

Try to save your settings, upgrade to latest build and reset it to factory see if it helps.
by js9erfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:14 am
mooseo wrote:I just moved from xfi to Sonic fiber... mostly it's OK, but I am having some issues. I have a netgear router running dd-wrt. In four years with comcast, I think I maybe had two or three times my connection went down.

Since moving to Sonic, I frequently get network timeouts or no access to the internet. I need to reboot the router most every morning to restore my connection. All the settings on the router are the same as they have been for years.

Any suggestions about what I need to switch to make this work with Sonic?
Try doing a hard reset on the R7000 and start over with minimal dd-wrt services to test stability. If the issue persists, flash to a more recent version or try a different firmware to see if the problem follows.

I was never a big fan of dd-wrt... I used a R7000 years ago (still sitting in a box somewhere) but opted for Xwrt-Vortex which performed well and is a fork of the popular Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. To get the full benefits of the firmware on a R7000 you’ll want to upgrade the stock bootloader.

As a reminder, always do a hard reset after upgrading or changing firmware for best stability. Restoring a config backup from a different version of same firmware can also cause problems.

A little bit of work obviously but worth it if stability is what you seek.
by ngufra » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am
I was a big fan of merlin on Asus routers except on April 1st when the ui breaks down. :-)
Now on pfsense (on a small industrial pc)
by js9erfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:43 am
ngufra wrote:I was a big fan of merlin on Asus routers except on April 1st when the ui breaks down. :-)
Now on pfsense (on a small industrial pc)
Sorry, the merlin ui/April 1st comment sailed over my head but yea, I use pfSense w/ numerous packages at several locations and couldn't be happier with it.
14 posts Page 1 of 2