Are sonic nameservers rejecting queries from outside Sonic IP space? If so, is this recent?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by oddhack » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:56 am
I'm experiencing a problem trying to use Sonic's nameservers. If I swap them in /etc/resolv.conf in place of 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.4, all name lookups fail. I can dig @208.201.224.11 or @50.0.1.1 and that works OK, but normal stuff like ping / telnet to test connectivity just gets 'Name or service not known'.

I'm wondering if this is because I'm outside Sonic's IP space - I'm on Comcast and just a Sonic email customer since there are no Sonic data options where I live :-( Generally I use Google's NS but the Sonic ones haven't had this problem in the past.

This follows up on the other problem I am having with outgoing email having started to fail on December 3rd, with a similar (deeply buried) error message deep in the Postfix configuration. I thought I'd switch over to the Sonic DNS just in case there was some inconsistency over how mail.sonic.net was being resolved, but doing so extends the problem to my entire system, rather than the MTA.
by klui » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:48 pm
I recall Sonic created this policy when they had resold FTTN from ATT many years back.
by bobrk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:30 am
Yeah, you can't use Sonic's DNS if you're on one of the resold services. I'm on the ATT fiber product and I use OpenDNS instead of ATT's DNS servers.
by bg1811 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am
Is this still true, if I get the resold AT&T fiber/FTTN through Sonic, I can't use Sonic's DNS?
by kgc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:52 am
Unfortunately, yes. It's best to use either the ATT assigned servers or one of the public DNS servers of your choice.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by bg1811 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 am
OK thank you.
6 posts Page 1 of 1