"Wi Fi 6"? Is this something to look for?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
by ankh » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:02 am
Having determined after a Sonic tech visit that our 2011-era Macs and Lenovo Windws machines can't get full benefit of Sonic's gigabit fiber speed, I'm thinking we're going to begin shopping for new computers.

Our Sonic tech's current Dell laptop had no trouble getting full gig fiber speed over the same Ethernet that gives us a quarter of the fiber available speed on our vintage computers.

So, can anyone help me look into the future and speculate what will work with Sonic now and in the foreseeable future?

Specifically, what the heck is "Wi Fi 6" that somenew Apple products support, and do I care?

Reference: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/05/mac-wi-fi-6/

And what else is out there in the future that's going to make everything we own obsolete next time?
by ankh » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am
PS, I'm just starting to catch up on the many Sonic Forum threads that may be applicable. If anyone has a good summary post, I'd welcome a pointer. Here's the plethora of current discussion Search finds:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22soni ... 2wifi+6%22
by dane » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:22 am
Any modern computer will achieve gigabit speed on a wired connection. For WiFi, the most common today is WiFi 5, which does 300-450Mbps. WiFi 6 is available in very new systems now too, and it’ll do up to about a gigabit in the best conditions.

Generally that’d mean in the same room as a wired access point - moving just a room or two away can push speed back down to 250-400Mbps. So the upside is somewhat limited, but if you have a choice and the cost difference isn’t substantial, WiFi 6 is theoretically a bit better than WiFi 5.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:06 pm
Any modern computer will achieve gigabit speed
How long ago did this modern computer era begin?

I've generally bought refurbished/second hand computers, but I"m beginning to think I'll need to buy brand new next time.

I know 2011 is not modern. How about 2015? 2028? early 2020? Any readers using a several-years-old computer that is accomplishing gigabit speed properly?
by dane » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:39 pm
Couldn’t say exactly, but I’d expect any desktop computers made in the last five years or so are likely to be gigabit equipped.

For laptops without Ethernet, the limitation is going to be the USB port. Again, newer systems, the last three to five years will have faster ports that can support a gigabit Ethernet dongle.

And for laptops on WiFi, look for 802.11ac (WiFi 5) or better, should be standard in anything that’s made in the last few years. But only the very newest will have WiFi 6. I wouldn’t consider that critical, because the peak performance of WiFi 6 is great, but only really seen when you’re in the same room as the access point. And then perhaps plugging in Ethernet is an option!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:46 pm
"1000baseT" is the speed setting selected on all our computers.

Is there another speed setting that would be offered as an option for gigabit ready machines?
by dane » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:52 pm
ankh wrote:"1000baseT" is the speed setting selected on all our computers.

Is there another speed setting that would be offered as an option for gigabit ready machines?
Nope. That’s gigabit.

But computer performance can also be a big factor. And of course, you can’t have any old 100Mbps devices such as switches or routers. Sometimes we find folks with modern PC and a fiber connection, but an old 100Mbps switch tucked in a closet connecting it all. Oops.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by chris.w » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:21 pm
ankh wrote:Having determined after a Sonic tech visit that our 2011-era Macs and Lenovo Windws machines can't get full benefit of Sonic's gigabit fiber speed, I'm thinking we're going to begin shopping for new computers.
And what else is out there in the future that's going to make everything we own obsolete next time?
Hi Ankh,

Over the next year or so, Apple plans to replace its current MacOS computers, which use Intel processors, with a new design, built around a custom, Apple-designed processor with a different architecture (ARM) and a different instruction set. Initially, Apple will support both architectures, but over time, Intel-based Macs will lose support, both from Apple and from software vendors, and become obsolete.

If you’re planning to replace your iMac with a new one and hang onto it for a decade, you might want to hold out for a year or so until the new, ARM-based iMacs come out. That’s what I plan to do.

Chris
by ankh » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:17 pm
Yep, I'm holding off. Under the longstanding principle to never buy anything with a version number ending in .0 -- I assume there will be bugs found in Apple's new chip design, after a while, and an improved one will come along. Of course, that too will have flaws found eventually (sigh).
by ankh » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:35 pm
OK (sigh) The new $699 Mac Mini comes with WiFi6, according to online reviews.

I'll never get everything caught up simultaneously (sigh).
10 posts Page 1 of 1