2Gbps

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by cmeisel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:34 am
I saw Google is testing 2Gbps for customers in some areas. Seems to be the same line. Could Sonic (technically) do the same one day over exciting lines ?
Claus
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 am
Hello,

We do offer 2Gbps to our Enterprise Business customers but we don't offer this for residential. The reason for this is that it cost considerably more and most of our residential customers are not even utilizing the full Gb as it is. Going any higher would just be overkill, for the time being. If you are experiencing speed issues or intermittent drop outs, this may be due to using the service over WiFi since you won't get the FULL Gb over Radio waves without upgraded equipment. We currently have Wifi 6 capable equipment for rent through us so you can can get higher attainable speeds. Please call our support team for more detail on this. I hope this clarifies. Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 am
We do offer a GPON-based “2Gbps” service today, but due to limitations of the customer premise equipment, it’s really 2x1Gbps. The device used has four ports, and it allows for two gigabits of total across two ports.

It’s been a great fit for small business customers though, most of whom seem to use one port for business operations and a separate one for customer WiFi for example.

If memory serves, pricing is $99.99/mo. Two voice lines are included, in addition to the two data circuits.

Now, it would be possible to build a CPE that outputs faster Ethernet - there is a set of standards from 2.5Gbps to 10Gbps that has become available. I suspect this is what Google is doing, and delivering 2Gbps on a single port.

But this strategy represents what would be additional investment in GPON technology, which makes little sense to me at a time when XGS-PON is just reaching maturity. Personally, I’d prefer to wait a little longer and make the leap to XGS rather than the middle step of squeezing a little more out
of GPON.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ewhac » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:43 pm
dane wrote:But this strategy represents what would be additional investment in GPON technology, which makes little sense to me at a time when XGS-PON is just reaching maturity. Personally, I’d prefer to wait a little longer and make the leap to XGS rather than the middle step of squeezing a little more out
of GPON.
Can XGS-PON work over your existing fiber runs?

It'll be interesting to see how 10 gigabit plays out in the consumer space. Every time I poke my head up for a look around, 10Gig Ethernet is still expensive, no matter whether you go copper or fiber. For example, this is the cheapest "full" 10G switch I'm aware of, at $140, and that's before you buy the SFP+ modules. PC NICs are likewise pricey. And you've got to pull all new cable through your house either way (Cat.5e will not cut it).
by psireau » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:25 pm
dane wrote:We do offer a GPON-based “2Gbps” service today, but due to limitations of the customer premise equipment, it’s really 2x1Gbps. The device used has four ports, and it allows for two gigabits of total across two ports.
I'm very interested in this - do the two gigabit ports on the device support LACP, or does the equipment essentially act as two separate ONTs and the only way for a single LAN device to use the full 2gbps would be to set up a multi-WAN? Thanks!
by dane » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:34 am
The latter - they are effectively two separate 1Gbps connections. We have seen customers deploy load balancing behind the ONT to achieve 2Gbps download speeds. But that’s clearly an exercise for the technically inclined customer.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by frk » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm
so, you get separate dhcp ip addresses?

and, just how sticky are the ip addresses?

and, of course, still no statics???
7 posts Page 1 of 1