Second public IP on basic GPON service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by bubba198 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:13 pm
Hi Sonic Tech,

I have Gigabit service delivered via native Sonic GPON fiber plant in San Francisco

Is it possible to get a second public IP at an extra cost of course, not looking for any "free" stuff.

I want to split my work VLAN from my house VLAN by means of "air gap" so to speak, sure I can duke out the networking with my current setup but I want to keep my work completely separate, with separate router, etc

If yes please let me know how I can get that add-on and what's the extra cost?

Thank you
~B
by ewhac » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:48 pm
I recall hearing somewhere that Sonic won't drop more than one fiber connection per residence; dunno if this is actually true.

What is true, however, is that Sonic has a "business" fiber service which provides two IPs (and two VoIP lines). So all you'd have to do is plug two Ethernet cables into the ONT.

That said, while it's ultimately your choice, I don't think you need go to the trouble or expense. The whole point of VPNs/VLANs is to segregate traffic at a layer that higher-level software can't even see. So unless you're concerned that the router itself has been pwned, you're probably fine using a single uplink.
by dane » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:17 pm
If you connect a switch to the ONT, you could then connect two different residential gateway devices behind that switch and each would get an IP.

And you could pair this up with Sonic Eero gear too: just get for example four Eeros from Sonic, plus a Gigabit ethernet switch from Amazon/Newegg. Connect the first Eero to the switch and configure it as a new network, then add the second Eero to that network.

Then create a second, new network in the Eero app, and connect the third Eero with Ethernet to the switch, and add it to this newly created second network. Add the fourth Eero to that network. Now you've got two different WiFi Networks, totally separate.

OR, far simpler: just enable Guest access in the settings in the Eero app. It gets a unique SSID and password.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bubba198 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:09 pm
Thanks Dane, I'm using ASA gear but wait - is that real? I thought the Adtran ONT somehow would filter only one active MAC to DHCP lease at a time?

What if "an evil" customer does something similar and consumes the entire region's scope?

~B
by dane » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 pm
bubba198 wrote:Thanks Dane, I'm using ASA gear but wait - is that real? I thought the Adtran ONT somehow would filter only one active MAC to DHCP lease at a time?

What if "an evil" customer does something similar and consumes the entire region's scope?

~B
Yes, clearly there are protections that assure things like that cannot happen. I believe it limits to a max of four IPs. But that’s from memory, could be wrong.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by briancw » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:42 am
This is Brian from Customer Experience, just confirming that the ONTs will keep a running table of MAC addresses and give out IP addresses to those. This is table known internally as a MAC Table is something that is outside your access as a customer. In cases where multiple MAC addresses or IP addresses on an ONT that table can get full and needs to get cleared out for new IPs to get assigned.

That being said, given your plan here it would be important to keep in mind that there is the above described condition occurs you'll be unable to get an IP address and surf. So if you've found in the future after you've made these changes and that you cannot get an IP address and surf it might be a full MAC table. It'd be important a call in to Tech Support at 855-394-0100 between 8am and 10pm to confirm that MAC table has not filled and if it has to clear it.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by mloesel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:24 pm
On the topic of filled up MAC tables, is there a way to get the ONT to only give an IP to a specific list of MAC addresses? Aka just one or reserve slots as the customer needs?

I upgraded my router's firmware last night and then couldn't connect to the ONT. Upon calling at 8 AM this morning, finding out that the reason I spent 10 PM - 2 AM last night trying to get our internet going was because our 8 MAC table slots filled up was very, very, very frustrating. This router is the only physical connection to the ONT and runs the DHCP for the rest of our house with ethernet to our three eeros and one Netgear all in bridge mode.

The tech I got was awesome and clearing the MAC table had us up and running right away, but can't this be avoidable for me (and others)?
by bubba198 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm
Doesn't simple power cycle of the Adtran ONT clear the MAC cache?
by dane » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:59 pm
bubba198 wrote:Doesn't simple power cycle of the Adtran ONT clear the MAC cache?
No, it’s on the OLT side in the CO. Are team has to clear it. Long-standing vendor bug.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by briancw » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:09 pm
mloesel wrote:On the topic of filled up MAC tables, is there a way to get the ONT to only give an IP to a specific list of MAC addresses? Aka just one or reserve slots as the customer needs?

The tech I got was awesome and clearing the MAC table had us up and running right away, but can't this be avoidable for me (and others)?
I just took a quick look at your circuit here, and from how it looks now, mixed with the notes from Malakai when you spoke with him today. You're not currently presenting more than one MAC address. Which means you're not in a weird state and presenting more MACs than your Netgear. That being said, in normal operation, MAC tables really only get new entries when a new device is directly connected to the ONT or is made visible to the ONT. This takes a pretty long amount of time to fill.

My advice is that if you need to make changes to your network and have been swapping devices connected directly to the ONT, I would make sure to make the change during our Tech Support hours of 8am till 10pm just in case we need to clear it out.

Filled MAC tables are unfortunately something that come up off and on and we're needed to check. They take so long to fill under normal circumstances that people can go years without them filling if ever. Typically we usually see MAC tables filled when someone plugs their ONT into a LAN port on their router. You'll want to avoid ever doing that.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
12 posts Page 1 of 2