Sonic has a major network issue

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by pkillelea » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:27 pm
For the last week or two, I've been getting frequent hangs when connecting to some IP's, but not to others.

It's not a DNS or SSL issue, happens with plain IP.

Does not happen every time, maybe one in ten.

Happens on multiple laptops, so it's not the particular laptop.

Rebooting home router makes no difference.

Does not happen when I tether my phone to my laptop, so that's more proof that it's not the laptop.

Does not happen when I am on my work VPN.

Conclusion: a router between me and a certain segment of the internet is semi-broken.

To reproduce, I can just run:

while true; do curl http://104.236.133.218; sleep 1; date; done
or
while true; do curl http://104.236.133.220; sleep 1; date; done

It's possible that the bad router is outside of the ATT / Sonic realm. Please help!
by pkillelea » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:22 pm
Well, Sonic basically just ignored this issue and told me it isn't happening:
This is an update from Sonic Support regarding your service issue. We have contacted AT&T who has performed remote testing on your line as well as made a remote repair. AT&T reported that after the remote repair, or line refresh, that they found no errors on your line and reported good sync and speed. AT&T reported that they saw a high number of connected devices on your network which may have caused some intermittent performance issues. However, after the remote repair no errors were subsequently reported. If you still experience any issues with your service or if you have any questions, please contact our technical support team at 707-547-3400 and we can move forward with an AT&T tech dispatch to replace your modem on suspicion. Thank you for your time and we hope you have a nice day ahead.

Sincerely,
Robert
ILEC Resolution Representative
And yet it continues, super easy to prove. Super painful to use Sonic service (unless I'm on my work VPN).
by joeyyung911 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 pm
How did Sonic "ignore" the issue? They contacted the responsible party. Informed you if it still persists, they'll dispatch a tech out there.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by jerrielm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:17 am
Hello!

So for this issue I would try using our Sonic VPN to see if this helps to resolve the issue. With IP address issues we can give reports to AT&T but it is in their hand to fix the issue. I would reply to the email with these issues and ask for a dispatch out to get the router replaced if that is something you would want done . Let us know if anything changes.

Best Wishes!
4 posts Page 1 of 1