Opening Port on router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by realhealth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 pm
I have been attempting to open a port in the modem under NAT virtual servers. It all seems to be configured correctly however when I use the open port check tool at https://canyouseeme.org/ it fails. I also have tried setting up port triggering (just for !fun) and no-joy on that either.

Ultimately I have a ervice provider that needs this port opened.
by ngufra » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm
You need to set the external port to be forward to a local ip/port.
But at that IP something must be listening for the can you see me test to work.

For example run a webserver on port 80 on one of your computers.
make sure it works from within your network.

On the router, make sure that computer always gets assigned the same IP from the DHCP server. for example 192.168.1.10
then in port forwarding, set the external port 81 to redirect to 192.168.1.10 on port 80

Then from internet, someone can go to your public ip:81 and will be served by the webserver on port 80 on your computer.

You can also specify it's only for TCP or UDP.

I use that to run a plex server on port 32400 so I can stream movies from my house to my phone.
the router may be running its admin interface on 80 or 443 so you may not be able to forward those ports.
by realhealth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 pm
ngufra wrote:You need to set the external port to be forward to a local ip/port.
I believe that is what I did when I configured the NAT virtual servers record in the modem.
But at that IP something must be listening for the can you see me test to work.
There is a device/embedded server on the network at that IP. I know that it is working because an app running on a phone can interact with it.

For example run a webserver on port 80 on one of your computers.
make sure it works from within your network.
I would have to install such a a server on a host PC and frankly that is more involved than I can handle without a bit of a learning curve.

On the router, make sure that computer always gets assigned the same IP from the DHCP server. for example 192.168.1.10
then in port forwarding, set the external port 81 to redirect to 192.168.1.10 on port 80

Then from internet, someone can go to your public ip:81 and will be served by the webserver on port 80 on your computer.

You can also specify it's only for TCP or UDP.

I use that to run a plex server on port 32400 so I can stream movies from my house to my phone.
the router may be running its admin interface on 80 or 443 so you may not be able to forward those ports.
The canyouseeme web utility was specified by the embedded web serving device manufacturer (Insteon) and they led me through a testing process to verify the issue was with the modem.

This was all working until about 6 months ago. I'm unsure if a firmware upgrade was pushed to the modem or if somehow the configuration was changed by sonic without our knowledge. Nothing has changed with regard to the embedded web server.

Is there a different configuration rock to look under?
by realhealth » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:30 pm
So it works now.
There were 3 other entries in the table specifying other ports. I'm not sure what they were or how those entries were made but when I deleted them and only had the one entry i have been trying to get to work, it all started working.

I am curious why having other entries in the table would prevent this entry from working.
by ngufra » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Were these forwards for other ports?

Did you take screenshots ?
Remove identifying information before posting.

Glad it's working now.
5 posts Page 1 of 1