Fiber Access in Oakland Malcolm Hill area?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by eamon.ryan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:03 am
Hi, when I moved to the Malcolm Hill area of Oakland (SE of the Zoo) I'd originally been told all of Oakland was planned for Fiber Access and that signing up with the resold AT&T 75mbps package would help expedite that area's access. The access I do have with that package has been just fine, solid, no issues, but is just 75/8, so not exactly super high speed.

Today I called in to find that the area is not even in the "fiber preorder access" area at all so it's unknown if/when it will ever get fiber, which feels a bit like I was duped into signing up.

Can someone speak to this? What, if any, is the plan for this area? The utility lines are definitely above ground here, if that helps.

Thanks!
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51 am
Hello,

We fully understand the frustration here and we absolutely plan to provide Fiber to ALL of our customers and are actively building out in Oakland. Unfortunately the Covid Pandemic has slowed our build out in all locations that we planned on installing. We do still plan on building that out but we are focused on keeping existing customers connected and functioning properly during this crisis rather than installing new infrastructure. We can reach out to our Fiber engineering team to see if they can provide us with an estimate and get this information back to you. I'll send you an email after speaking with our Fiber engineering team so we can get a more accurate response to you. Have a good day.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:11 am
We are building most of Oakland now, but have not activated pre-orders yet. But first areas there in Southern Oakland will start going active in just a few months.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1