Sonic Fiber coming to Wawona Street San Francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by netlan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:00 am
Been a long time loyal customer but with everyone working from home, our existing DSL service just isn't cutting it anymore. Was wondering if Fiber is coming to Wawona Street (between 37th and 38th avenue), 94116 anytime soon?

I know AT&T fiber ends about 2 blocks away, and has been like that for years now. For whatever reason, fiber has not extended past Ulloa street.
by jacob.karinen » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:28 am
A primary reason that blocks fiber expansion could be an overloaded pole or if micro trenching is required. Looking at your address on google maps I do see aerial wiring so it's probably an overloaded pole that stopped the build in your direction. We're working diligently to resolve these problems but unfortunately I do not have a timeline when that might happen. Hopefully we can offer something in your area soon.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by netlan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:34 pm
ah okay. thank you for replying so quickly!
by dane » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 pm
It looks like the pole in front of 2637 Wawona was unable to carry new load, so we were unable to build there during our initial build and then a subsequent expansion project. FYI it's a Western Red Cedar pole that was installed in 1950. That's a pretty old pole.

I'll ask engineeing to take another look and see if anything has changed in the intervening years. We're just around the corner from you on both 37th and 38th, and today just unable to reach those seven structures on that short block.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by netlan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:31 pm
Thanks so much Dane for replying, hopefully it can be extended to our block. I'll remain a Sonic customer for decades to come and I'll let all my neighbors know as well !

I can't believe its just our block, is there anything I can do as a homeowner to help with that pole? Contact my supervisor or a local agency to upgrade or fix that pole?
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:06 am
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in our response. Telephone poles are either owned by PG&E or the county itself depending on the location. Most of them are owned by PG&E so it would probably be best to start with them to see if that pole is their responsibility and they should be able to direct you where to go if they don't own that specific pole. I hope this information helps. Have a great day and please stay safe out there!

Kind Regards,

Jeff M. :)
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:08 pm
Best bet might be a complaint to the CPUC, they regulate pole safety.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1