What's the strategy for improving speeds where AT&T used to provide DSL?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by danzcool » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:58 pm
I currently have a (single line) fusion DSL with Sonic, which provides good speeds as compared with what AT&T is now providing with their (not officially even broadband) fiber to the node service, Since Sonic was reselling the AT&T service in the area (and presumably still is), what options are there for me to increase bandwidth at a reasonable price in Benicia?
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 am
Hello,

Looking at your account I can see that your line is currently in sync at 20Mbps down over 1.29Mbps up. We do resell AT&T's Fiber to the node service there but they are only offering 12Mbps down over 1Mbps up. Going to the AT&T resold Fiber would actually be a speed cut for you. Unfortunately we don't offer any other services in Benicia at this moment in time. We are building out our Fiber infrastructure so in the future this may change but for the short term future we're not able to improve on what we have for you there. I hope this helps answer your question. Have a good day and stay safe out there!

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:12 am
How about our Fusion X2 service? Two lines, $20/mo more, double the speed. Might be a good fit!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danzcool » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:02 pm
I had been planning to do the X2 eventually but it seemed to have dropped off the options list, is it still available, and how do I order it?
by dane » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:17 pm
danzcool wrote:I had been planning to do the X2 eventually but it seemed to have dropped off the options list, is it still available, and how do I order it?
If you have Fusion X1, you should see an upgrade option here: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/#/

In some cases though you'll be offered something different, for example if there is a much faster IP Broadband product at a similar cost, we'll offer that instead. Or if there is Sonic Fiber, we would never offer an X2 upgrade - but would instead move you to the fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by danzcool » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:34 pm
dane wrote:
danzcool wrote:I had been planning to do the X2 eventually but it seemed to have dropped off the options list, is it still available, and how do I order it?
If you have Fusion X1, you should see an upgrade option here: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/#/

In some cases though you'll be offered something different, for example if there is a much faster IP Broadband product at a similar cost, we'll offer that instead. Or if there is Sonic Fiber, we would never offer an X2 upgrade - but would instead move you to the fiber.
Ordered it (x2) up last week, we'll see how it goes.
-Dan
by admun » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 am
I am in Santa Clara zip 95050. Is that possible to upgrade to fusion X2? I've been keep checking but it seems to be not available to me.

I checked the member service update tool (didn't know it exists...) and it said I can do "Fusion IPBB-C" for 24MB... is it really better than what I got from fusion DSL?

I don't mean move to it, if it improved my uplink... 2MB juts not cutting it while WFH in this new normal of COVID-19...

I am currently seeing 22MB down and ~2MB up with fusion DSL.
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:47 pm
Hello,

It looks like we do offer IPBB-C there but the speeds for that are 24/1 vs the 20/1 that you have there now. Unfortunately this would not provide much of an improvement for you. We are building out our Fiber Optic infrastructure as fast as possible so we can provide all of our existing and new customers with better options going forward. I hope this information helps. Have a good day.

Regards,

Jeff M.
by danzcool » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:31 pm
AT&T truck showed up, did something and then left, I checked the phone box (it's old school, lift off metal cover with just 4 binding posts), and it was left the same as before, with only the blue pair tied down, and the orange pair floating. Is there anyway to get a status of what stage it is in?
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Hello,

It looks like AT&T may have delivered the second line but they didn't label it. Looks like this is being corrected though as of today. After AT&T has been there check your connection to see if both broadband lights are solid green (not flashing green or red) on your modem once it boots up. If you still only have one broadband light solid green and the speed didn't change at all, we'll need to send our Sonic tech out there to properly connect the internal line to the external one AT&T delivers today. A good AT&T will do this for you since they are there but if they don't absolutely call our support center so we can get you going ASAP. I hope this information helps. Have a great day.

Jeff M.
11 posts Page 1 of 2