Bitmit blocked

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by auweia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:09 pm
This one is really strange. Apparently Sonic is blocking Bitmit.net, and online auction house that uses bitcoins. I called support and they said it was a reported phishing site?

I haven't been able to find anything where it's reported as a phishing site and it seems all other ISPs have access to it.I can access the site through a proxy, but not directly. To me this brings up numerous questions, but the main one is, can anybody else on Sonic access http://www.bitmit.net?

In fact they have daily discussions about bitmit at bitcointalk and nobody's heard of this being reported as a phishing site, altho they have had DDoS attacks as recently as last month

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41592.0

This is the first I've heard of Sonic blocking any site for any reason, especially a large legitimate one as this and it would go against Sonics policy too. I seriously doubt it's a phishing site unless something changed very recently because I've been buying things there for quite awhile and suddenly couldn't finalize an order and still can't get access

This is something that can easily be checked by staff, I'm sure and they said they'll check on it, but it seems to me that maybe somebody reported it maliciously. Maybe some customer got scammed and is taking revenge?..who knows? If that's the case, isntead of it being an actual phishing site, wouldn't the staff check this before blocking it?

many questions

also, I did find this one thing about redirects

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=259646.0

But I'm pretty sure that''s when the DDoS attacks against Bitmit were happening and they were and maybe still are contracting with one of those companies that fights DDoS attacks

could that be why it's blocked? And why isn't any other ISP blocking it and everybody else still can access the site?
by dane » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:15 pm
It's been reported as a phishing site - but if you think it's listed in error, click the "Report" link at the bottom of the protective capture page.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by auweia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:21 pm
ok thanks Dane. I tried to do that on both firefox and IE but was not able to do so. Or it wouldn't let me do it. maybe some others users can help since I've got adblock and ghostery running but even turning those off didn't help

But no, I don't think Bitmit is a phishing site. I've bought things for 6 months with no problems. But they have been attacked by outside forces tho, and nobody seems to know who. maybe disgruntled competition, who knows

That's my take on it at least

or maybe another question. Wouldn't the expert staff at Sonic be able to find out if it actually was a phishing site, like some kind of hidden script that all those thousands of users are missing, that nobody else knows about?
by dane » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:24 pm
When I click the "Tell us" link at the bottom, it opens up a form for you to submit a request for review. Maybe try another browser?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by auweia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:35 pm
Yes, I do see the 'tell us' on IE but that link doesn't go anywhere. On Firefox it doesn't even go that far and simply won't load anything. I'm trying Chrome now

edit, yes it finally worked in Chrome, thanks dane

I'll eat my shorts if Bitmit is a phishing site. Somebody might have reported it as one, but that might have been a disgruntled somebody, or maybe competition

either way, that's not quite right. that would be like Ebay getting blocked after somebody reported Ebay as a phishing site. Not really much difference between the two except for bitcoin
by thulsa_doom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:38 pm
I went ahead and reported this on your behalf. I was unable to reproduce the form error.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by auweia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm
ok thanks. I was able to submit the form on Chrome. I don't know if it'll work, it still doesn't seem right unless I'm seriously missing something. I've never had anything stolen from Bitmit. They don't even ask for personal details like a phishing site does. that's kind of the point with bitcoins

it just smells funny
by auweia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 pm
it is possible there was configuration errors with their hosting, see here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=259646.0

Like I said they were getting massively DDoS'ed and sought out more professional help. But this was 2 months ago and Sonic wasn't blocking it then
by auweia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:41 am
Sonic has now unblocked Bitmit and thank you. It was less than 24 hours to unblock and maybe all it took was somebody speaking up about it.

The head of Bitmit posted on another forum in the last few hours saying that yes, they had been added to a spam/phishing blacklist but that was false. Somebody does not like Bitmit, obviously, since they've already had DDoS attacks

This was posted here and user Tosaki is the owner of Bitmit

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41592.1160

and my concerns about how this was blocked is just below it. I hope this is an isolated incident and kind of slipped through the cracks because the implications are enormous if it isn't. It was kind of shocking to see this coming from Sonic. I specifically went with Sonic after AT&T started adding restrictions with downloads and then reading about how Sonic was one of the last ISP's with no restrictions. I still believe Sonic is the best. That's why this was such a surprise

Anyway thanks again for the help. It's all good now :)
9 posts Page 1 of 1