eero, IPv6, & the Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jasonchen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:27 pm
I've got Sonic Gigabit Fiber service in San Francisco. It looks like starting in the week of Aug 23rd that the fastest speed test that my eero's reported dropped from ~900Mbps to 90Mbps.

I called into support this morning ~10:30am and they had me restart the ONT and my eero, after which they also remotely cleared the MAC table on the ONT while also mentioning something about a lot of IPv6 devices being present. Immediately after that, the eero speed tests showed 762/546 Mbps. But by 5pm, performance had dropped again to ~90Mbps.

On a hunch, I just disabled IPv6 on the eeros and restarted both the ONT and eeros, which seems to have fixed the problem (speed tests report ~850/~330 Mbps results). Has anyone else been experiencing this sort of issue? If so, what did you do to resolve this?

Thanks!
by maranha » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:56 pm
Make sure the cable jacks are properly seated at both ends. Try running speedtests at various times of the day with the EERO app for a few days. Apparently Tech Support can see those recorded speeds at their end.
by brandonc » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:51 am
Hey Jason,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. That does sound like an odd issue for the IPv6 to throttle the speeds on the Eero, however since that seemed to solve your problem, then it definitely seemed to be the case. I checked your line from our end to be sure there wasn't any fluctuation on the signal to the ONT and everything is stable and at the expected levels. That being said since we also lease out Eero's to our customer's, I'm going to report this up the chain to check and make sure that this isn't affecting more of our customer's connections.

However, if you do notice the speed drop again, then try plugging in a device (preferably a computer) via Ethernet into our ONT directly and run another speedtest at sonic.com/speedtest. Just so we can be absolutely certain our connection is working normally. If you are able to get a gigabit speed directly on your device, then I would try swapping the cables/checking the connections and if need be factory reset the Eero. If all else fails and the Eero is still throttling speed, then I would try calling Eero's customer support and they should be able to take care of issues like that.

Hopefully it is fixed and you won't have to worry about it anymore though!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1