AT&T FTTN 50mbps to 75mpbs Upgrade Issue

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jrostkow » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:55 pm
Hi sonic team. I got an email a few weeks back that I could upgrade my connection from AT&T FTTN 50mbps to FTTN 75mbps. I called support and confirmed this was indeed available. It would also cost $10 less that I am paying now, so seemed like a no brainer. I went ahead and ordered.

The AT&T tech came yesterday. He saw that I currently use a two-line modem, but his job required he downgrade to one line. This confused us both. I said this was supposed to be an upgrade from 50 to 75mbps. This didn't make sense to him. His job notes didn't tell him what actual speed I would be getting. It said something about an "elite" plan, but he didn't know what that meant. He was not allowed to call sonic to sort this out. Because of the overall confusion and uncertainly about what I'd ultimately end up with, we agreed the best course of action was to cancel the order.

Here are my modem's sync stats:
ATT Broadband Status.png
ATT Broadband Status.png (33.39 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
It shows one line can get a maximum sync speed of 56mbps. A quick but certainly non-exhaustive online search suggests 55mbps is around the best download speed you can get on one line with FTTN. If this is the case, not sure where the 75mbps can come from with just one line.

After the tech left I called sonic support and they are currently looking into my questions. But I thought I'd pose the questions here also. Hopefully someone on support can answer and others may find this helpful if they are in the same confused state as me.
by jrostkow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm
Sonic did call back and we got this sorted out by cancelling the order. Unfortunately AT&T is unable to do the upgrade without us having to cancel our existing FTTN service and wait without internet until the new service is installed. The installation was for a lower speed in a different class of product so it was good the tech guy and I cancelled the install.

Sonic did say they continue to talk with AT&T to see if this barrier can be removed and eventually current Sonic FTTN customers can upgrade to a higher speed without having to go days/weeks without internet. However Sonic does not have a sense yet if this will eventually be possible.

Honestly the 50mbps has been totally adequate and the connection has always been stable. But if Sonic can eventually get things worked out and maybe even offer 100mbps FTTN plans, would love to get email alert when this becomes available.
by captron248 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 am
I currently have the 25mbs single line Uverse offering from Sonic and been thinking about doing the upgrade to 75mbs. Sonics "upgrade" page on support says I can get upgraded to 75mbs. If I were to order this upgrade would I need to go through the wait with no internet ?
by amayfield » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:09 am
Yes, in order to get the faster service you'd need to cancel your current service and place a new order.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by captron248 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:34 pm
OUCH
5 posts Page 1 of 1