gateway.sonic.net/admin NOT a secure page?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by sonikaf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:03 pm
Hi:
I went to the above page to change my router's password for both channels. I am a new subscriber and have just started to rent Sonic's router.
Now, when I click the cursor on the password change box, I get Firefox message that the page is not secure.
It isn't an SSL site that is obvious, since it does not use https:// in the address
I did change the passwords though. Question is, could someone steal it already as I was typing it in?
Please advise.
Thank you.
by ngufra » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:59 am
I suspect gateway.sonic.net is mapping to a local address.
If so it's only on your local net and the gateway being a switch, the traffic between the gateway and your computer is only available on the port of the switch where your computer is connected to. If this port had a hub, it could be possible to capture the traffic but hubs are extremely rare these days. In a consumer environment it would typically be an unmanaged switch.
If you are connected on wifi, unless it is unencrypted, it is not trivial to decrypt.
If it were local and using TLS, there may be issue putting the server certificate on devices at customers. and without certificate the ssl warning may be worse than plain http from a customer experience point of view.
by dane » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:04 am
Bingo. Because it’s local on your home network or encrypted WiFi, it’s not a risk. Encryption is critical when using sites on the internet because there’s no way to know who might be monitoring traffic along the way. But inside your own home network, there’s no one snooping it - and because that gateway can only be accessed and configured from your LAN, it is considered safe.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1