Change in pricing for resold AT&T fiber/Fusion IPBB?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
41 posts Page 4 of 5
by blumberg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:48 am
I just found a nice loophole.

You can sign up for ATT fiber business class and they install a second line to your home right longside sonic/consumer ATT fiber. You pay 99 for install and get a second ONT, second fiber line installed and gateway which is kind of a waste. But you can then cancel sonic, save $30-40 per month and have no downtime and switching from business fiber to residential is easy with no contact/lock-in.

Remember, no data caps with ATT anymore and HBO is included with no landline requirement.

Sonic dropped the ball here. All they needed to do to keep customers was fix their contract with ATT :(
by travlos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am
blumberg wrote:I just found a nice loophole.

You can sign up for ATT fiber business class and they install a second line to your home right longside sonic/consumer ATT fiber. You pay 99 for install and get a second ONT, second fiber line installed and gateway which is kind of a waste. But you can then cancel sonic, save $30-40 per month and have no downtime and switching from business fiber to residential is easy with no contact/lock-in.
Sonic dropped the ball here. All they needed to do to keep customers was fix their contract with ATT :(
The current 1G business class fiber is $120/mo but you're saying ATT will switch your account to residential easily? Can you elaborate on the switch? Is switching mentioned in the ATT T&Cs somewhere?
by jacob.karinen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:18 am
blumberg wrote:I just found a nice loophole.

Is there something we can assist you with? Do you need help cancelling your service? Going over your post history you are consistently telling people to leave Sonic. While we do appreciate people offering options where our service isn't up to par you are riding the line between what's acceptable and what isn't on our forums. Please let me know if there's something I can assist you with.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by jessieandrob » Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 am
just wanted to bump this thread up to see if anything’s changed with the process? is disconnecting the current connection and signing up for entirely new service still the only way?
by jerrielm » Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am
jessieandrob wrote:just wanted to bump this thread up to see if anything’s changed with the process? is disconnecting the current connection and signing up for entirely new service still the only way?
Hello! Sadly this is still the process. We hopefully will have a solution to this issue in the future but with the limitations that AT&T has for us we are not sure when that will happen. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best Wishes!
by wonrhee » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:43 pm
jessieandrob wrote:
just wanted to bump this thread up to see if anything’s changed with the process? is disconnecting the current connection and signing up for entirely new service still the only way?

Hello! Sadly this is still the process. We hopefully will have a solution to this issue in the future but with the limitations that AT&T has for us we are not sure when that will happen. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
I just went through this process, and sadly, will be cancelling Sonic resold ATT fiber.

Timeline:
- After talking with Sonic support, cancelled service through account termination. Created a new account to upgrade to the new 1G service.
- Pleasant surprise - ATT install appoint was in less than a week, total downtime was 30 minutes. New speeds are excellent!
- Unpleasant surprise 1. Due to the timing of termination, I was being double billed for the month. Sonic support thought that this can be prorated as credit. Billing disagrees.
- Unpleasant surprise 2. Even though new contract had promotional pricing, Sonic removed the promotional pricing from the account and immediately started billing the balance (without invoice!)
- Unpleasant surprise 3. Supervisor call-back - can't change any of the above. Uninterested in why there is such a big confusion on this process.

FWIW, I think the confusion is rooted in the terminology "signing up for entirely new service". It looks like there is a path for minimal downtime with ATT, but it is not being pursued by Sonic.
by klui » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:37 pm
wonrhee wrote:Timeline:
- After talking with Sonic support, cancelled service through account termination. Created a new account to upgrade to the new 1G service.
- Pleasant surprise - ATT install appoint was in less than a week, total downtime was 30 minutes. New speeds are excellent!
Could you please provide more details here?

Let's say you called Sonic to cancel Aug 1. When did you create a new account for 1G service? This new account was with Sonic, right? When did the new account service start working? When did the old account service stop?

Thanks!

We're thinking of doing the same from FX1 to IPBB-F (?) 1G.
by wonrhee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:29 pm
Let's say you called Sonic to cancel Aug 1. When did you create a new account for 1G service? This new account was with Sonic, right? When did the new account service start working? When did the old account service stop?
I cancelled the Sonic Account on Aug 13 through member tools. The same day, Sonic's website allowed me to create a new account for 1Gb service at the same address (even though the first account was paid through mid Sept).

AT&T install was Aug 19th, and he quickly upgraded my ONT + old ATT router to a new ARRIS BGW320 with integrated ONT as well as switched circuits somewhere upstream. Quick and easy from ATT. Even plugging in the original ATA into the new circuit worked just fine with the old telephone number.

Perhaps Sonic support can chime in here, but I've been told that this is not a supported path, even though it is very user friendly.
by klui » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:07 am
Thanks for the details.

Were you given a choice keeping your old ONT? My ONT is in the garage and I already have an ethernet drop to my network closet where the residential gateway resides. It would be a pain if I left the RG in the garage where I can't easily monitor it. Although I don't use RG's wireless I like having the ATA connected to it because it acts as a convenient canary check if connection problems are due to AT&T's infrastructure or my own.
by wonrhee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:30 pm
Were you given a choice keeping your old ONT?
I wasn't given a choice, but I didn't ask either. It is a benefit to have one less wall wart to power the ONT, but the fiber between the wall plate and RG seems very delicate.
41 posts Page 4 of 5