Change in pricing for resold AT&T fiber/Fusion IPBB?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
35 posts Page 1 of 4
by jessieandrob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am
Hi all, current Sonic customer here getting Sonic's resold AT&T fiber service. I was checking service availability at our address (always hopefully that Sonic's own fiber might show as available) and noticed that the only option now available is AT&T's resold 1Gbps service at the same monthly pricing as what we currently have, resold fiber at 100 Mbps.

I called Sonic's customer service about the change and if we could get upgraded to the faster speed since we're paying the same rate. The service rep unfortunately said that wasn't possible due to some limitation enforced by AT&T. The only solution she could offer was to disconnect or current service and sign us up for new service, which would result in a 2-3 week lapse in having service. The rep was friendly, and I totally get that she could not do anything here.

This does feel quite disappointing though. Is there really no way to directly upgrade here? Especially with the pandemic, it's getting harder to justify paying a higher rate for a lower speed.
by travlos » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am
I'm also interested in the answer.

Following this topic.
by amayfield » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 am
No, there isn't a direct upgrade path. The reason isn't due to a technical limitation rather a contractual one. Your current service and pricing were provisioned under our previous contract with AT&T, and the new offerings are under a different contract with AT&T. While AT&T allows for us to continue to provide you your current service they do not allow for us to upgrade you to the new offering under the new contract.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Supervisor
by chirano » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:04 am
We have a similar problem here. We pay $70 a month (not counting rental fees and taxes) for service that Sonic is now charging new customers $60 a month for. To get the lower price, we'd have to cancel our legacy Fusion IPBB X2 service, wait a few weeks per AT&T's rules, and then sign up for the Fusion IPBB-C service. Same speed, same gateway. Other than the cost, nothing would really change other than the name of the service we're paying for.

Perhaps Sonic can negotiate a solution, but I fear they're a victim of AT&T's bureaucracy. I'm not planning to hold my breath waiting for AT&T to stop acting like AT&T.
by dane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:10 am
It’s certainly something we have been pressing AT&T for. But so far, the only option that is possible is to disconnect and reconnect, which is 4-6 weeks of downtime. And only do-able of course if the circuit is beyond the initial one year term.
Dane Jasper
by travlos » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:29 pm
As you can imagine Dane, 4-6 weeks of downtime is not acceptable.

Please press harder. We had Comcast service for years, and also ATT mobile service and every time a contractual issue came up it was exceedingly frustrating. This feels like ATT just wants to prevent Sonic from expanding.

Is there anyone at ATT we, Sonic customers, could contact to impress upon them the need for the upgrade path?
by mquiazon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:49 am
I know it's a contractual thing, but to the extent that customers expressing their interest on this thread has any impact at all, I too, would love to upgrade from my current Fusion IPBB X2 service to the newer gigabit IPBB-F service.

As with other folks on this thread, a 4-6 week chunk of downtime would not work. I suppose it might be possible to temporarily sign up for non-contract service with Comcast to tide me over during the interval.
by tony.b » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:24 am
Hi there,
I wanted to reach out and thank everyone so much for weighing in on this subject, and for supporting Sonic with all the information you have posted. I want you all to know that we are working hard everyday, continuing to push At&t to allow us to request these upgrades for our customers that are eligible. As soon as we have any updates, changes in policy, or options available from At&t we will be posting it here and reaching out to our customers via email to make sure everyone is informed.
Thank you again for all the posts and support, I hope you all have a great day!
Tony Sonic Supervisor
by robertwise » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:41 pm
When we login to our account, we see the new "up to 1000mbps" $70 plan with an upgrade button. Does this mean that if we use that to upgrade, we will experience the downtime? Or are we able to upgrade more seamlessly since it seems available? We are currently on the 50mbps plan and needless to say that would be a great improvement. Thanks!
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:42 am

We apologize for the delay in our response. When upgrading from X2 to IPBB 1,000Mbps Fiber, a tech will need to come out and bring the Fiber line into the house to get you set up. Because we're not using the same copper wire from the phone jack in you house to your equipment you could actually still use your existing line as the tech is getting the new one installed. The only downtime foreseen with this would be when they activate your new line and install your new equipment to switch you over (which will be minimal). We're not able to say exactly how long as this is determined by the tech doing the work in the field. This question would be better directed to the tech on the day of the install to get the exact downtime figure. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!

All the best,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
35 posts Page 1 of 4

Who is online

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 999 on Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests