NEED SONIC higher ups to help trouble shoot and carry through on getting Gigabit Fiber next door

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by aikopandorf » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:38 pm
I live in South Berkeley and WANT Sonic Gigabit Fiber service. I have been a long-time cheer leader for Sonic and it hurts to see my neighbors getting Gigabit Fiber and us not.
We literally OWN the duplex next door where there is Sonic Fiber and STILL we keep getting a run around about why we can't get it on the building 15 feet away.
It feels like there could be a technical solution. Can you help?
As I said:
- we own the building next door (and therefore have permission to run whatever lines required)
- we have two units up/down that want fiber
- We have a teacher, a student, and essential worker whose life would be MUCH improved with SONIC's Gigabit Fiber

Here's what we have heard:
Its the pole. Its not the pole. Your pole isn't on the map.
Its the ariel trespass. It is not the ariel trespass
We can't yet, but don't give up hope

We need your help to come up with and carry through on a solution.
Thank you for taking the time to make this customer happy, Aiko
by dane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:59 pm
The build stopped just to the West of you because there is a wood utility pole in front of 2318, just to the SE of your premise across the street, which was or is overloaded and which would have to be reinforced before we could deploy new infrastructure there. As a result, our network stops at the corner, and from that point we can reach a couple premises, but not yours.

The pole in question is a fifty foot tall Western Cedar wood pole which was placed there in 1953. Our engineering shows that it needs reinforcement. If it has in fact been reinforced (look for a big metal bracket at the bottom, roughly 5' tall, strapped to the pole), then it's likely we could eventually expand the network to reach your premise. Until that's done, I'm afraid we're stuck.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1