Can I attach several more wired phones to the Sonic setup?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
24 posts Page 3 of 3
by ngufra » Mon May 02, 2022 9:42 am
If you plug the splitter into the wall jack (without involving the ont) and you see line in use on the phone, there is another phone line on that wire. Are you sure it's completely off on what used to be the dsl line?

Things to test:
- plug the cordless phone directly to the ont.cordless phone should work.
- plug the cordless phone and ont on female ports of the splitter without plugging splitter into anything. corldess phone should still work.
- make sure home wiring has no phone connected and is disconnected from old phone line and plug the splitter (with ont and cordless phone on the female ports still connected). it should still work.
-disconnect the cordless phone and plug it into one of the phone outlets in the house.

If it does not work at any step. do the same with the corded phone.

Although our house has phone wiring throughout, what we did is leave the cordless phone base near the ONT in the basement and use cordless handsets with chargers in the house (uniden 5.8 GHz multi handset phone system) and it works well.
by mawalls2001 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:20 pm
Thanks @ngufra for the tips!
I went home yesterday with the intent to follow all of the suggested steps and somehow instead stumbled upon the solution.
The answer lay within the telephone interface box!
When I’d originally disconnected the test jack, I thought there was only one jack in the box (because in my box there was one jack that was exposed/without a cover).
Out of curiosity I pried open a compartment above the one without a cover and was surprised to see another jack. I continued opening the compartments. There were about 6 compartments total, all with lines plugged into the jacks. I disconnected all of them.
Then, I plugged the ONT into a splitter (so that I could also plug a phone into the splitter), and then plugged the splitter into the wall jack.
It worked perfectly! No more busy signal and the jacks in the rest of my house were made “live” and also worked without the busy signal I was previously getting.
Hope this helps someone in the future!
by tenthave1222 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:29 am
dane wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:48 am For Sonic fiber service using the Adtran 411 ONT, it out POTS pots voice with a REN of 3. This means three “typical” telephone devices could be connected. For more on the REN, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

But modern devices often themselves have a lower than 1.0 REN. So if you want to get precise, determine the REN number for each device you have and add those up, and assure its 3.0 or less in total. So you might tally up something like:

Cordless base station: 0.8
Old phone in basement: 1.0
Fax machine 0.5
Corded phone in kitchen: 0.5

This would be a viable configuration.

But, good luck finding the REM required for each device, manufacturers seem really bad about consistently making that easily available. Assume 1.0 if you can’t find the info.

At home I’ve got one wired phone in the kitchen that does not require power - for emergencies and because I always know where it is, then a Panasonic cordless base with five handsets. Which should be plenty, but I can never seem to find one when they’re ringing! ;) I do have Panasonic’s battery backup for the base station, and an APC UPS for the router and main Eero WiFi. The other Eero unit will go offline when the power goes out, but WiFi works in the center of the house.
looking to get a 2nd line to tie to the fire alarm system in an apt complex. how would one split the POTS connection and "create" a 2nd # just for calling out? POTS is currently working for dialing out for Doorking intercom.
by ngufra » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:25 pm
Alarm systems do not need their own line.
You can usually connect them through an RX31x so if they need to call, they have priority and disconnect the phones while calling the central station.
To wire it, you need to connect the RG31x box to the ONT, then connect the alarm and the home phones.When the alarm is disconnected the box acts as a pass through. when the alarm panel is connected, the phone signal goes into the alarm panel and out again to the phones when it does not need the line.
There is a nice drawing at https://safehomecentral.com/product/rj3 ... -and-cord/
24 posts Page 3 of 3