Can I attach several more wired phones to the Sonic setup?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
24 posts Page 2 of 3
by dane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:13 pm
ankh wrote:OK, I think that's most of what I need. Now the house wires all go from phone jacks in the living area, down to dangling wires (used to be blue and blue/white pair connected) in the crawlspace where the Sonic fiber terminates.

So how do I get these disconnected dangling twisted blue/blue-white pairs reattached to something live?
Probably just connect all of the wires of the same color to each other. There's likely a white that might have a blue stripe, and then a blue that may have a white stripe, for example. Just connect 'em all with a wire nut, or onto a terminal at the MPOE/NID location. And make sure that test jack toward the AT&T central office is disconnected, else you'll be connecting your home phone wiring to miles of distant cable plant. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:28 pm
onto a terminal at the MPOE/NID location
OK, I guess it will have to be that option so there's a signal on the wires --- right now they're not connected to anything anywhere, just runs from loose wires under the house to the unused jacks.

So, er, what does " a terminal at the MPOE/NID location" look like? Is that the "punchdown block" thing?
by dane » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm
The screw terminals in the second photo at the imgur URL above.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 am
I think Dane explained it quite well but the concept may be difficult to understand.

What you had:
From AT&T box a wire is coming into your basement and connected to all the pairs going to all the phones plugs.

Step one is to disconnect the rg11 in the box outside your house so you are totally disconnected from ATT.

Then if all your wire pairs are still connected, Dane said connect a phone cable with rg11 on each one, one end to the ONT/ATA, the other to any phone socket in your house (so you cannot put a phone there unless you have a splitter (a filter splitter leftover from DSL works too i think). All phones were connected in parallel, electricity goes both ways, now any phone is connected to the ONT and thus the phone line.

What i did instead is i got one of these https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-47689-B- ... 0002V8572/
I only used one of the pairs. I cut one end of a phone cable. one end with the RG11 goes to the ONT, the other end (bare wires) to the panel for example blue and blue and white pins (you need a puncher tool for that)
All this is available at home depot in the electrical department.
Then all the other pairs of wire that you want to work go to the same blue and blue and white lines.
This will let you enable/disable plugs if you get noise from one of them.
by ankh » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 am
There's one of those panels -- I think the installer called it a "punchdown block" when he put our fiber stuff in -- under the house. It used to have all our internal Cat6 phone lines connected to it, along with our copper incoming signal.

The landline cat6 cables (blue, blue/white) were pulled off of that punchdown block and left hanging.

I will take some pictures. I'm nervous about disconnecting the service plug because I'd bet eventually some service person will go uh-uh-that's wrong and reconnect it.
by ankh » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm
PS, I assume there's some reason I can't just use one of the old fashioned signal splitters right at the ONT output?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/41a18e ... 3724e.jpeg

by ngufra » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:59 pm
You can use that too. They are typically used for phone/fax.
Some have a filter inside and have one side for DSL modem, the other for a phone line.
If you don't use ADSL, you could put phones on both sides.
by ankh » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:42 pm
Nope, I have fiber -- this gadget would go into the single phone jack on the ONT, if that makes sense. Right now that one jack feeds the home wireless phone base station, which is maxed out for remotes.
Adding the splitter gadget if appropriate would let me plug in another phone on a long wire connection.
by ngufra » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm
The ONT supplies you with one analog phone line (maybe it's two)
The data sheet is at https://portal.adtran.com/pub/Library/D ... 01_411.pdf

You can plug the splitter on the ONT and connect two analog phones on that phone pair (as explained before, the max REN is 3)

If you need to connect an alarm system to a central station, it is recommended to use an RG31x that will give priority to the alarm system to pick up and call to report activity

I mentioned ADSL as if you had ADSL in the past, you may have some voice/data splitter that could be used.
by mawalls2001 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:19 am
Hello, I’m having a problem getting my landline to work properly. My Sonic fiber was installed a few days ago. (I had Sonic DSL previously and my landline phones worked fine with it. My setup is that I have a corded phone in one room and a cordless phone in the room with the ONT.)

I followed the suggested step of disconnecting the test jack in the telephone network interface box.
However, when I connect the ONT to the wall jack, it makes it as though the ONT is a phone off the hook.

I have a basic phone line splitter on that particular jack in order to plug the ONT as well as a phone at that spot. When I first plug it into the wall jack, the phone displays line in use.
I hear a dial tone. However, it quickly turns to a busy signal and if I “hang up” the line still thinks it’s in use as though the ONT is a phone.

The only way to stop the busy signal is to disconnect the ONT from the wall jack …which then means the jack in the other room won’t work either.

Please help.
24 posts Page 2 of 3