"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com" lately

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
66 posts Page 7 of 7
by ankh » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 pm
OK the old router is out and we have an EERO6 installed.
Results are:

With EERO wifi selected, using a 2010 iMac that we know can’t take full advantage of fast Internet:

download speed is 140.64 Mbps
Your upload speed is 95.33 Mbps

Using a Cat6 Ethernet cable between the Eero and the same 2010 iMac, I get

download speed is 244.37 Mbps
Your upload speed is 237.41 Mbps

Using EERO wifi a 2011 Mac mini which is known slightly better coping with fast Internet

Download speed is 198.79 Mbps
Upload speed is 196.28 Mbps

================

I think we can live with the speeds if the EERO solves our problem of intermittent loss of connection.

Can you recommend an Ethernet port multiplier that we can use attached to the EERO to connect the Ethernet cables to our several home computers?

Results will follow for a modern Dell that may get better results, though it's at the other end of the house.
by ankh » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:03 am
By the way, I found a compilation of possible remedies for slow Mac Ethernet performance, which I'll start working through as time allows. Some of these appear to be applicable to older Mac operating softare and hardware.

https://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi- ... os-sierra/
by klui » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Pretty disheartening looking at this thread on what shouldn't be a problem. My parents are on Sonic fiber on an old 2009 Asus motherboard with a not-so-common Atheros NIC and they get 800-950 down/up speeds. It's running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33GHz but does have an SSD, albeit a cache-less one. But I have not performed a speed test after their system was upgraded to Windows 10 when Windows 7 reached EoL. See below for their current speeds.

One thing you may want to do is run iperf under bash to see if the NICs and its driver are performing correctly. You want to remove as many variables as possible and isolate up the OS chain.

Here are their speeds when I ran them remotely through ssh/RDP. Firefox used unless noted. Changed peer server to Comcast in S.F. Firefox has uBlock Origin installed while Chrome did not. I was about to complete a test using Firefox w/out uBlock Origin but my dad shut the system down.
  1. speedtest.net and sonic.net/speedtest
    189-250 Mbps down/up
    190 Mbps down/571 Mbps up Google Chrome
  2. DSLreports
    200 Mbps down/670 Mbps up
  3. speedtest-cli - Cygwin
    470 Mbps down/599 Mbps up
    701 Mbps down/515 Mbps up
by ankh » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:49 pm
Rats.

The original problem -- "can't establish a connection to the server" -- is still with us.

Suddenly everything stopped, and our Internet-connected computers couldn't establish a connection to the server for google.com, couldn't establish a connection to the server for sonic.net and so on. Just nothing there.

Support checked and found the remote EERO unit had lost its connection -- as had the Mac I was using and the Dell and another Windows box that my wife was using.

Power cycling everything and rebooting the Mac cleared up the problem.

We've replaced everything except the ONT, but Support says the ONT is okay, as they can check it remotely, and the light in the fiber is okay too.

What else is there to check??
by ankh » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 am
... run iperf under bash to see if the NICs and its driver are performing correctly ....
If you can point to instructions at the "explain like I'm 70" level of complexity, for use under Mac OS, I'd welcome the pointer.

This is tiresome but I'm at home and retired and have plenty of time on my hands to fiddle with this stuff.
by klui » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 am
The 70-yo version is "Get off my lawn!"

You can download iperf at https://iperf.fr/en/iperf-download.php#macos

Download either iperf 2.0.5 or 3.1.3. You need to run it on 2 machines on your LAN. One will be the server and the other will be the client. Look at this Youtube video on how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRUC_x42-fQ Note on the video Tom used iperf 2. The two versions do have some differences so start with iperf 2.

You may want to download speedtest-cli and try that. I used sivel's version but it looks like speedtest.net also has their own version.
66 posts Page 7 of 7