X1 to X2 Upgrade. 2 fairly technical questions need answering before I upgrade, can you help?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
50 posts Page 1 of 5
by mikeapbiz » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:50 am
I am one of the rare Los Angeles X1 Residential Customers. I have the X1 DSL and it's good. I have a Static IP. Got an offer to upgrade to X2 and the incremental cost per month is low so I want to do it but I have a few technical questions, can anyone give a definitive answer?

1. When I upgrade, can I keep my current static IP as that IP is VERY important to me?

2. I have all of my own networking gear, and currently use my own DSL modem which is just a modem and bridges everything over to my router. Can I do the same thing with X2? Specifically, buy my own modem, have it just be a bridge/pass through to my router, and NOT pay the monthly rental fee to Sonic?

And if both of the above are yes, what modem(s) do you recommend I buy for X2?
by ewhac » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 pm
When I upgrade, can I keep my current static IP as that IP is VERY important to me?
What he said.

I have Fusion X2 here on the San Francisco peninsula. My old Zyxel modem had a working bridge mode, but it died. The replacement Pace 5268AC (currently) has b0rk3d firmware that prevents "real" bridge mode from working, but you can fake it by using the LAN Subports feature. Do not enable LAN Subports on all four LAN ports, or you will lose the ability to access the modem itself without a factory reset.
by ngufra » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm
I have a zhone modem/router/wifi that supports two xDSL bonded lines (ADSL or VDSL).
I was using it with a single VDSL circuit.

I was using double NAT as i was running a dd-wrt router as my main router : zhone modem/router was 192.168.1.1
dd-wrt was 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.1 and i have all port forwarding in both routers.
Not sure if it could be in bridge mode but i like being able to access it easily. Additonally Zhone does not support units, you are supposed to get support through the ISP (I tried as they are in oakland) so i could not get firmware upgrades.

It was working fine. The exchange is at the end of the block and i was getting like 6Mbps up and 45 Mbps down.

I am now one fiber so I don't need the zhone device. it is a 6729-W1-xx.
You can have it if you want (I am in Albany, CA)
by dane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:45 pm
Upgrading from Fusion X1 to X2 doesn’t affect the static IP configuration.

You will need a dual-like bonding modem and router, and we of course would suggest you use the one we supply.

Note that line service is included, in case a technician visit is required, whereas if you have your own equipment that cost is at your risk.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 pm
Dane, thanks for the reply. Do you, or someone else know, is the X2 upgrade I'm being offered, bonded legacy ADSL or is it that ATT Fusion to the node which is basically their Uverse thing with the required proprietary modem and dynamic only IP? I want dual adsl, I don't want the ATT stuff. How can I be sure I'm seeing the right upgrade path?
by dane » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:29 pm
If it’s Fusion X2, that’s on-net, just a second circuit added. If you see IP Broadband, it’ll note that it’s delivered over the AT&T network (non static IP!), etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikeapbiz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:32 pm
Thanks again Dane. Last question, regarding modem? When I upgrade via the web it forces me to choose a modem rental.
Can I order over the phone to decline this or order via web & return it upon install to stop the monthly fee? And I've been using my own dsl modem for TEN years with Sonic so no point in breaking that streak now, right :D so do you think this modem would be OK?
https://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_se ... 4005-B50B/
by dane » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm
No, it’s not possible to upgrade without taking the modem. If and when you get your own device working, you can then request an RMA and ship it back.

This is because we’ve found that many people are unable to get their own device working initially, and then it’s unclear if the circuit delivery is good, or the equipment is bad. We want a known working configuration initially.

And no, I can’t recommend an alternative device, we have designed the business model and support systems around Sonic’s equipment. If you DIY, you’d be in your own.

One last reason to stick with Sonic equipment: if you’re using your own and a technician visit is ever required, there is a charge for that. Members using Sonic equipment get full on-site support along with equipment replacement included with the rental. FYI!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joeyyung911 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 pm
dane wrote:... technician visit is ever required, there is a charge for that.
Honestly, that's a little deceiving. You get charged if the issue is on the customer side of the network. If it's on Sonic's side, you don't get charged.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by ngufra » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 am
The benefit of using sonic's equipment is that if they need to troubleshoot they can remotely connect to the router settings. If it's your router they don't have the credentials and don't know the specific model so you are on your own.
Also note that there is a return fee for the RMA. I believe it's just under $10.

Sonic strongly recommend you use their equipment but we should be glad that they don't require it.
50 posts Page 1 of 5