Marooned block in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by robertjcohen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:45 pm
Dane,

I was a very happy Sonic Fusion customer since February 2013, and touted your services to all who would listen. Then, after years of mailings telling me that Gigabit Fiber was coming, I belatedly learned in October 2019 that, actually, Sonic would not be bringing fiber to our one particular block in Berkeley. The neighboring blocks have fiber service. I have felt sadly disappointed ever since.

Now, with three of us working from home, we really need faster internet service.

I'd like to know directly from you what the problem is: not enough current Sonic customers on our block? a structural impediment that the City of Berkeley won't help you with? Those issues are not insurmountable, and I'm willing to help.

Thanks,

Robert
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:56 pm
Hello,

Unfortunately, for everyone on the block of West St, between Dwight Way and Channing Way, It seems that only power lines were allowed to make that span from Dwight way, but no other utilities (ie telecom or cable companies) at this time. If this changes in any way, we'll email you to inform you when Fiber is available there. Sorry we're not able to get to you just yet.

Kind Regards,

Jeff M.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 pm
Here is what that looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zngu8a2zg66t ... 2.png?dl=0

The communications lines (circled) go underground, while the power lines are overhead. We can't bridge a gap like this until cities adopt standards for trenchless construction, allowing for microtrenching and boring.

We are building as ubiquitously available a network as we possibly can, given the constraints of unsafe poles and of local standards. Today in Berkeley we reach about 90% of homes - and that's pretty great unless you're one of the ones we cannot reach yet! I'm sorry, we are working to address gaps like this in time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1