Sonic Speed vs. AT&T

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 am
I have had AT&T DSL service for years, then moved to U-verse on one of the promotional plans. I am currently getting around 7.5 Mbps download and 1.3 Mbps upload speed. My current promo plan expires in December and I think I'm running out of promo plans to try at a reasonable price, since they insist on upgrading my service each time I threaten to cancel and they offer me a new promo, so I'm thinking of switching to Sonic Fusion. But according to the Web site, my house is 9800 ft. from the CO, so the speed chart puts my speed at around 4.5 to 5 Mbps. Does it make sense that it would be that much slower than what I'm getting from AT&T? I want to be able to stream HD programming and I'm afraid I won't be able to do that with the slower connection, so maybe Sonic isn't a viable alternative for me. I've read that 5 Mbps is the minimum recommended for HD streaming.
by desertflyer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 am
AT&T Uverse uses different infrastructure than Sonic Fusion. Basically, the speeds you are getting from Uverse are because AT&T built a box closer to your house. 4.5-5Mbps is barely enough to stream HD content in my experience.
by Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:31 pm
Thanks for your reply. That's too bad, but it confirms my suspicions. Guess I'll have to stick with AT&T or Comcast. :-(
by clairet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:21 pm
It's always possible that you might get speeds a bit higher than 4.5-5 mbps if you have good copper. Because we can't guarantee speeds, we have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you find it's just too slow for you, let us know within the first 30 days and you'll be refunded every penny. Plus, you can keep your Uverse service active at the same time (just don't mention to AT&T you are switching or have switched to Sonic.net) so if you do cancel Fusion, you can immediately switch back to Uverse again.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by digitalbitstream » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 pm
clairet wrote:Plus, you can keep your Uverse service active at the same time (just don't mention to AT&T you are switching or have switched to Sonic.net) so if you do cancel Fusion, you can immediately switch back to Uverse again.
Hmm. Really? I had a really un-smooth transition from U-Verse to Sonic, involving one company waiting for the other. But how about getting Fusion on "line 2" and cancelling "line 1" at a later date.
by polpo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:49 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:Hmm. Really? I had a really un-smooth transition from U-Verse to Sonic, involving one company waiting for the other. But how about getting Fusion on "line 2" and cancelling "line 1" at a later date.
I ended up doing that when I first got Fusion. When I placed the order in the notes I said I had U-Verse and wanted to keep it. Fusion went in on another pair and they coexisted just fine.
by clairet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am
digitalbitstream wrote:
clairet wrote:Plus, you can keep your Uverse service active at the same time (just don't mention to AT&T you are switching or have switched to Sonic.net) so if you do cancel Fusion, you can immediately switch back to Uverse again.
Hmm. Really? I had a really un-smooth transition from U-Verse to Sonic, involving one company waiting for the other. But how about getting Fusion on "line 2" and cancelling "line 1" at a later date.
That's exactly how our installers usually set it up. They leave Uverse installed and install Fusion on another jack. This is not possible in some cases due to different internal wiring setups but it usually will work just fine. Uverse and Fusion can exist together physically no problem but AT&T has a strict policy that they should NOT coexist. That's why we recommend that you don't keep any Uverse service (like TV) when you have Fusion because if they send a tech out, they may cut your Fusion line.
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by Pat Wilson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 am
i was/am looking forward to switching to Sonic because of the of the great customer service I've heard about!But am now concerned about the issue the last letter mentioned-our T.V. service.For some odd reason,cannot use a dish on our side of the building.Is this going to be a problem?
Sincerely,
Pat Wilson

707-528-6245
8 posts Page 1 of 1