Requesting Gigabit fiber service for a block in San Francisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by nineteenth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm
I'm a current customer who is moving soon and learned that the Sonic Gigabit Fiber service is not available at my new address. Would LOVE to request that the block be added to future service area (3700 block of 23rd St in San Francisco, zip code 94114).
by dane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 pm
nineteenth wrote:I'm a current customer who is moving soon and learned that the Sonic Gigabit Fiber service is not available at my new address. Would LOVE to request that the block be added to future service area (3700 block of 23rd St in San Francisco, zip code 94114).
We do have coverage on the 3600 block, and it starts again about 3834 23rd, but there is a coverage gap that encompases the 3700 block and part of 3800. The reason for this is that there are or were overloaded or unsafe wood utility poles there, which precluded our construction. Those would need to be replaced or reinforced before we'd be able to deploy there. If/when that occurs, we'd put the project into our infill queue.

Unsafe poles are a huge issue for us, they create all sorts of gaps and holes in coverage. It's a challenge, particularly when it's a single pole that simply needs reinforcement, a few hours of work, but it eliminates all coverage after that point. We are advocating for solutions that would help address this issue, but it's not resolved yet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nineteenth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm
Hey Dane,

Really appreciate the reply and the context on gap in service for that block. Is there anything residents can do to advocate for the necessary improvements to the utility poles on the block that would be helpful? Is that a request that would go to PG&E? The city? Someone else?

Thanks!
by dane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:46 pm
Best bet would probably be to complain to the regulator, the CA PUC. You can file an informal complaint on their website.

They need to enact policies that don’t allow an unsafe pole to be a reason to stop new deployment. They need to be able to force pole owners to resolve safety issues. It’s doubly frustrating that our competitor is part owner of the majority of the poles, so this issue benefits them in multiple ways, by blocking deployment by a new competitor.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nineteenth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:14 pm
Thanks for this context and for how responsive you have been. I've just filed an informal complaint about the unsafe utility poles with the CA PUC.
5 posts Page 1 of 1