Fiber deployments

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by dehnert » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 pm
Is there a map that shows where Sonic has deployed fiber to the home?

I don't think I'll live long enough to get it at my home. My neighbors are all Ludites. You should see the computer my neighbor that live west of me has. I think the 286 I had back in 1994 was better equipped.

Since I'll never be able to create the critical mass that Sonic wants/needs to justify deploying FTTH in my neck of the woods, I'd like to see what areas are getting fiber. If something adjacent gets fiber I may go over to their office and start begging.

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
mailto:jdehnert@dehnert.com James "Zeke" Dehnert
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
"Life is racing. Everything else is just waiting"
by dane » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm
No, we do not provide maps of our network due to competitive concerns.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dehnert » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 pm
Fair enough.

Makes sense.

Now I can't even move to get a better internet connection. I'll admit, my FTTN is generally pretty good. Except when it isn't, and that seems to be happening more often these days. I'll never get FTTH in my area because, as I alluded to, other than myself, no one else cares.

The remainder of this thread will be made up of me crying about my horrendous misfortune and the inequities of life.

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
mailto:jdehnert@dehnert.com James "Zeke" Dehnert
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
"Life is racing. Everything else is just waiting"
by dane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 pm
I'm proud to note that we now connect over half of our Sonic members via our own fiber-optic network, but clearly we've still got a long way to go. We are seeing record demand in the last few months, as you might imagine, and that uptake really helps fund our ongoing expansion all around the region. So, hope springs eternal!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bubba198 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am
@Dane is there an official process where end customers can initiate interest for native Sonic glass deployment or are those decisions purely internal to Sonic? Also do you partner with communities (by partner I mean money) to elevate the priority of certain markets, in other words make the deal sweeter for Sonic to jump on the deployment?
by dane » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm
bubba198 wrote:@Dane is there an official process where end customers can initiate interest for native Sonic glass deployment or are those decisions purely internal to Sonic? Also do you partner with communities (by partner I mean money) to elevate the priority of certain markets, in other words make the deal sweeter for Sonic to jump on the deployment?
We're primarily driven by two factors: demand, and build cost. The community can help with both of these items.

We gauge demand based upon expressions of interest where people leave contact information in areas we cannot serve, as well as the interim products we provide, Fusion over copper and IP Broadband via the AT&T network. When you spread the word about Sonic in your community, this process occurs and we measure the demand and weigh that information in our decisions.

The second is cost. Again, local communities can affect this. Primary policy areas that are important are permitting and inspection processes and costs, dig-once policies, and trenchless underground construction standards. So for example, a community that requires an on-site inspector at all times at our expense would be a region where it's not likely to be feasible to build. Encroachment permit costs and processes (online versus over-the-counter in person) can also influence costs. Dig once policies that allow for sharing of city-owned conduits can be positive if a reasonable stock of footage has been placed. And finally, trenchless standards for both directional boring and microtrenching are key for serving any homes with underground utilities.

So if you'd like to see Sonic or any other new carrier build fiber to your home, you can do two things: first, spread the word, and second, encourage your City leadership to adopt policies that encourage deployment. That is how a community can encourage investment in local infrastructure, which provides a wide array of benefits in the local economy, education, and quality of life.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by smithtomj » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:47 pm
So if you'd like to see Sonic or any other new carrier build fiber to your home, you can do two things: first, spread the word, and second, encourage your City leadership to adopt policies that encourage deployment.
I'm waiting in Devonshire Canyon, San Carlos. What kind of encouragement does my City leadership need, specifically? I'd be happy to weigh in.
by larns576 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am
smithtomj wrote:I'm waiting in Devonshire Canyon, San Carlos. What kind of encouragement does my City leadership need, specifically? I'd be happy to weigh in.
dane wrote:The second is cost. Again, local communities can affect this. Primary policy areas that are important are permitting and inspection processes and costs, dig-once policies, and trenchless underground construction standards. So for example, a community that requires an on-site inspector at all times at our expense would be a region where it's not likely to be feasible to build. Encroachment permit costs and processes (online versus over-the-counter in person) can also influence costs. Dig once policies that allow for sharing of city-owned conduits can be positive if a reasonable stock of footage has been placed. And finally, trenchless standards for both directional boring and microtrenching are key for serving any homes with underground utilities.
Dane says it all right there. Encourage/ensure those policies are in place and that can help with getting your area into deployment consideration. If it's not cost effective to deploy, then it most likely isn't coming.
by dane » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Bingo, see above.

For example, we are struggling with a City that would like us us to re-pave a 13’x13’ square of pavement when we open a 1’x1’ hole to locate other utilities. That sort of excess paving adds millions of dollars to a project, making it far less feasible.

Good standards for boring and microtrenching can make all the difference if a community would like to see modern optical infrastructure deployed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dehnert » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:09 pm
This is all very good information.
Dane, You might consider posting this in a FAQ about getting Fiber to your City/Neighborhood/Street.
13 posts Page 1 of 2