Gigabit Fiber In Multi-Dwelling Units (MDUs)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by crebeiro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:40 pm
Sonic has a webpage (https://www.sonic.com/communities) where it says they've installed gigabit fiber in many MDU's. If that's the case, why oh why don't they have a page that I can go to and look for apartments or condos that have the service? It sure beats the hit or miss method that I and a lot of other people go through trying to find a home with gigabit fiber which is fast becoming a necessity. This should be easy to implement and would be a good selling point to property managers when you're trying to convince them to drop fiber to their property.

Also, a simple map that shows in detail where you can provision gigabit fiber (including resold AT&T) would be a great idea.
by dane » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:52 pm
Due to competitive concerns, we do not publish maps of where our network reaches. Of course, you can check an individual address on the website, but it might also work just as well to inquire with each building you are considering to ask if they've got Sonic fiber available.

And yes, that also helps us: building owners sometimes try to block our fiber deployment, and having prospective tenants asking for Sonic fiber can help them understand that it is a valued amenity to have available in the building.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by crebeiro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:34 pm
If you don't want to publish an overlay map, fine, but AT&T publishes an MDU map and offers search tools—you should too. What I'm trying to avoid is what you suggest; looking at individual buildings in the hopes of finding the fiber. I don't have time for that, I want to see a list that shows me which properties to check out. here, you can see how AT&T does it: https://www.att.com/att/multifamily-property/locator/

I have no doubts that AT&T salespeople mention this tool when they talk to property managers. I know that if AT&T is available at an MDU I can get its network resold by Sonic, but I would prefer Sonic's own network.
3 posts Page 1 of 1