tracking bandwidth - drop in apparent speeds

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by rxdubois » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:57 am
I got fiber in May (and love it!). On my new mac mini with 64 GB ram, I used Sonic's speedtest site to confirm 890 Mb/s down and 750-800 Mb/s up, and 3 ms pings.

I look periodically, and I noticed in the last couple of weeks or so that the download rates have sagged to 800 Mb/s. I've checked this after restarting my mac, router and ONT box.

I'm wondering if either Sonic's success in getting fiber customers is diluting the rate per customer, or if the San Jose connection point varies in its response rate, or... something on my end?

Anyhow, I probably can't practically tell the difference between 800 and 890 Mb/s in real world transfer times, but I'm just wondering if the rate decrease is real.

Thanks!

Richard
by jerrielm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:28 am
Hello!

Our fiber service does not dilute customers speeds the more users that get connected (other customers). There can be a huge amount of reasons why the speeds get slower. It could be the speed test server, the Ethernet connection, the Wifi connection, particular downloads from servers or even from the computer or device itself.

I am assure you that even if we had all of California connected that the speeds would not change. I hope this answers your questions.

Best Wishes
2 posts Page 1 of 1