FTTN wiring from node to house

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by rrichard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 am
For FTTN, how many pairs of copper are required between the node and the house? I currently have Fusion Broadband X2 on two pairs and there are exactly two pairs available inside the walls of the building. If FTTN only uses one pair, then I would be able to keep my analog voice line on the other pair. If FTTN uses both pairs, then I would have to switch to a digital voice line.

Thanks in advance!
by dane » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 am
Sorry, not the easy answer: it depends. Basically the higher speeds for FTTN of 45Mbps+ almost always use two pairs. Generally the 12-18Mbps is single pair. Sometimes 24Mbps or even 45Mbps might be a single pair, but that’s rare.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rrichard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 am
Thanks for the quick answer. Is one of the factors it depends on distance from the node? If so, is it possible to find out where my node is in relation to my house?

"Check availability" tells me that I can get 18Mbps (and no faster). Does that necessarily mean single pair?
by wa2ibm » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am
It can go the other way too. I have FTTN X1 which usually involves a single pair. However, I'm so far from the node that AT&T used two pair to achieve the X1 speed. This prevents me from getting X2, since I'm already using that second pair.
by dane » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am
rrichard wrote:Thanks for the quick answer. Is one of the factors it depends on distance from the node? If so, is it possible to find out where my node is in relation to my house?

"Check availability" tells me that I can get 18Mbps (and no faster). Does that necessarily mean single pair?
Given that 18Mbps is your max, you are likely in the situation that wa2ibm describes here. Two pair.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1