Fussion X1 vs FX1 speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by hauie106 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:00 pm
A few months ago, AT&T tech came to trouble shoot a connection issue with my X1 service. He was only able to get at best about 5Mb/s at the node, which resulted in only about 3.2Mb/s at my house. Will I see any improvement if I upgrade to FX1? If so, what can I expect?

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... Broadband-
According to that article, X1 modem sync rate is 18Mb/s - 24Mb/s and FX1 is 40Mb/s - 50Mb/s. Since I'm only getting about 18% of the lower expected sync rate of X1, would that also be the expected percentage if I switch to FX1? Or would the node see 50Mb/s and I would see something close to that at home?
by kyle.depasquale » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:46 pm
If you switch to any of the FX1, 2, or 3 speed tiers, you'll get much closer to, if not exactly the speed you sign up for - you're basically moving from DSL to Fiber service, which doesn't have the same distance limitations. It should be well worth the upgrade, and you'll see a substantial increase in speed and reliability.
by jerrielm » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm
Hello All!

As Kyle stated the FX1 speeds are closer to their respected speeds. DSL vs Fiber connection is the main thing you are looking at here. You will be getting Fiber as oppose to DSL services. I hope this helps!

Best Wishes!
by hauie106 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 pm
Thanks Kyle, Jerrielm. FX1, 2, and 3 are fiber-to-the-node so there's still copper from the node to the house. I'm sure FX1 is faster than X1 to the node. Just want to be sure it's significantly faster from the node to the house to be worthy of an upgrade.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:50 am
The FX tiers actually are real fiber to the house :)
by Sonic Guest » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 am
I had X1 and upgraded to FX1. Kyle and jerrielm are right. FX1 is fiber to the home, not fiber to the node. Who told you it was FTTN? There are many misinformed people who thinks AT&T don't offer 50 Mbps FTTH and all they offer is FTTN at that speed. It's overprovisioned by 20% and I get 60 Mbps up/down. A no-brainer upgrade, the cost was less than $5 more than what I paid for X1.
by hauie106 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 pm
This one says FX1, 2, and 3 are Fusion IP Broadband. The image also shows FX1, 2, and 3 grouped with Fusion FTTN
https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... Broadband-
by hauie106 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 pm
But then this one says:
FUSION IP BROADBAND
(Fiber-To-The-Node)
Delivered over AT&T’s IP network using Fiber-to-the-Home or Fiber-to-the-Node Technology (technology based on location)
https://www.sonic.com/residential

Hope I won't get FTTN.
by Sonic Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:02 am
I admit the page is a bit confusing but what I did when I found out I could upgrade was to right away ask Sonic Tech Support. To be honest the first rep answered it incorrectly for FX1 and someone else--thank you William!--replied with a correction. The question you want to ask is "Is the speed symmetric?" or "What is the upload speed?" If it's "symmetric" or the upload speed is the same as download, then it's fiber.
Sorry for the confusion! FX1 is 50/50, FX2 is 100/100, and FX3 is 1000/1000. These are all the same infrastructure (Fiber to the home), and are symmetrical. With standard X2, you're more likely to see the variability and weighted speeds, as the X1 and X2 are fiber to the node (FTTN).
9 posts Page 1 of 1